Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost desktop icons

• Please log in to reply

smadison

smadison

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: My darling little girl did something to my desktop. More than half of the shortcut icons disappeared. How do I restore my desktop? My system is XP. Can anyone help me!!!!

Advertisements

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
If she didn't remove the programs, only those shortcuts, this should be simple. First of all, have you checked that are they on the recycle bin? If they are, you can just move them all back from there. If not,
Then, you can check the Add/Remove programs list, that if there is all the programs you have, she didn't uninstall them or anything. If everything is there, you can try going;
Start -> Programs -> And then right-click on the programs you want a shortcut from. Just choose to create a shortcut and move it on the desktop. Hope this helps.

You can also try a system restore but I think the suggestions above should get your shortcut icons back if the programs isn't uninstalled.

- Rawe :tazz:

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
My mother just had the very same problem, this is what i found.

Is there a folder on your desktop called unused icons?

If there is then that is where you will probably find them.

Just a suggestion to add along side rawes. :tazz: