Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dial Up Stop Error

• Please log in to reply

Insane2757

Insane2757

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I've been experiencing the same stop message for a while now. It is the IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL message whenever I connect to the internet using 56k. It connects for 20, 25 seconds, then gives me the BSOD and I have to restart. This is only on random occacions though...

I believe it is a modem driver. I've never experienced this using a friend's or college internet where it is cable or other broadband. I tried using the Windows Driver Scanner, and it would stop my computer from connecting to the internet by a BSOD, saying it found a driver trying to corrupt my system. So I had to system restore to get my internet back. I am using a Toshiba Satellite A70, Win XP SP2, with the standard "Toshiba Software Modem". I can't find any other drivers and I can't find a solution other than the "Just format" cop-out.

I included three of the many savedumps my computer has made. I don't have Visual C++ to open it, so I am clueless as to what it contains. I just noticed other people request it whenever they try to debug a stop error.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Attached Files

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
usually related to a driver conflict - 2 devices trying to use the same resources. You could try releasing resources by disabling any ports you don't use on the laptop (either in the BIOS or in Windows Device Manager. Or disable the built-in Modem (in Windows Device Manager) and fit an external one to a serial or USB port. That will mean installing a driver for the external modem, but it may well be a driver that doesn't cause the problem you're currently having with the existing modem driver.