Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build won't POST

• Please log in to reply

lfd311jeep

lfd311jeep

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Question - should the system POST without a video board?

I just assembled an AMD Duron 1.8GHz CPU on a PC Chips Socket A ATX motherboard with 256MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz. It is in a new Soyo case with a 400W power supply.

When I powerup, the fans run but I get no POST beeps and no video.

This is the same problem I had with my "old" system which is why I bought this one from TigerDirect.com.

I tried several old videocards (they were lying around so I don't know if they are any good) all with the same results.

I quadrupple checked all connections and tried unplugging everything, and got the same results.

Thus my question... any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Do I understand you get "absolutely no beeps"?

What happens if you pull the ram out... still no beeps?

I forgot to ask... do you have a speaker attached?

makai

Edited by makai, 16 July 2005 - 05:31 PM.

lfd311jeep

lfd311jeep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, absolutely no beeps.

Yes, the speaker that came with the case is plugged into the motherboard (but is is new, out of the box, so I've never heard it)

I've tried reseting the memory in either slot and also with no memory inserted, all result in no beeps.

-=Mark=-

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This looks like a cmos or power problem.

Do you have a hard drive hooked up to the system? If not, hook one up... at least there will be a audio indication something is happening.

Remove the cmos battery and set the jumper to clear the cmos (refer to your mb manual). If no jumper is present, just leave the battery out for about 30 seconds so the caps have a chance to discharge.

Also,
Reseat the processor
Remove all ram
Restart the computer

Listen for the hard drive spinning up, and for any beeps.

If the hard drive doesn't even spin up, then change the power supply if you have one.

Also, change the speaker if you have one of those too, just to get it out of the equation.

makai

lfd311jeep

lfd311jeep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've done as you suggested: Connected a HD, and can hear it spin up - power supply seems ok. Removed the battery and cleared the CMOS (moved the jumper for a few minutes then moved it back) reinstalled the battery. Reseated the CPU, removed the memory, tried a different speaker - still no beeps.

Should it beep without a video card installed?

Any other suggestions?

-=Mark=-

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yes, removing either the vid card or the ram should cause the motherboard to give out some beeps.

You say you had this same problem with another system. Did you ever find out what was wrong with the old system? Did you use any components from the old system in this new one?

makai

lfd311jeep

lfd311jeep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Only the video card (which is now not installed)

On the previous system, it began with an intermitant problem, powering off then on would resolve it. It then got worse and I had to off/on/off/on/off/on many times to get it to boot. Then one day it would not boot at all.

That is why I purchased this new barebones system.

I guess my next alternative is to contact the vendor, claiming defecting merchandise and requesting RMA to replace CPU & motherboard(?)

Thanks for your help, any other thoughts/suggestions would be welcome!

-=Mark=-

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yes, that would be the best thing to do.

The scary part is if the video card is responsible for blowing up this new system. It may not be, but it's possible.

If you have a vid card you know is good, I would try to use that one instead of the "suspect" card on the next system you get.

Good luck, and sorry there was no easy answer to your problem. Maybe someone else will have another suggestion, so check back again for any further replies.

makai

lfd311jeep

lfd311jeep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Question about motherboard jumper settings:

JP2: is for CPU Frequency, the choice is 100 or 133 MHz.
The CPU has a bus speed of 266 Mhz FSB.

Am I correct that the jumper should be set to 133?
or have they sold me an incompatable board?

AMD Duron 1.8 Mhz processor CPU; PCCHIPS M811LU KT266A Socket A ATX Motherboard listed as accomdating AMD Athlon/Druon processors

lfd311jeep

lfd311jeep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'll answer my own question - yes 133 is the correct setting. I returned the mother board and CPU to the vendor. They sent new replacements. Everything works now - I must have initially received defective merchandise initially!

Thanks makai for your help.

-=Mark=-

Edited by lfd311jeep, 27 July 2005 - 04:19 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Glad you got it fixed and thanks for letting us know what it was,

good job makai

Rick