Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't boot

• Please log in to reply

rhaal

rhaal

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hey, i have an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe motherboard running an AMD 64 3500+. It has 2 512 MB 400MHz DDR memory sticks.

When i try to start up my computer, all i hear are beeps from the mainboard and the computer won't start. Nothing shows on the monitor.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
What's the beep pattern? If it's a long continuous beep then it's memory. Try re-seating the memory. If that doesn't work try one stick at a time.....

Make sure the machine is unplugged and you ground yourself before working with memory.....

A long beep and two short beeps is video. Reseat the video card....

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

The Beep Code is totally dependant on what BIOS version your system uses..

For example: With an IBM BIOS: Continuous beep would mean a problem with the Power supply, system board, or keyboard

AMI BIOS: Two short beeps would mean a memory error (could be video or ram)
1 long and 3 short would be ram only!!

Phoenix BIOS uses a 3 set beep code..

So, the BIOS version and the exact sounding of the beeps is really necessary here!!

Murray

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Better yet....the links for the beep codes are on the right side:

http://bioscentral.c.../compaqbios.htm

rhaal

rhaal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
macten - it is just a continuous short beep. i have tried resetting the memory and using one stick at a time but i still get the same result after doing so. I have checked and the memory should be compatible to my motherboard.

murray S. - i think the BIOS version is a phoenix, as that is what appears in the moetherboard manual. However, because i can't get my computer to boot, i can't enter the BIOS to check what version it is.

thanks guys for all the input.

Edited by rhaal, 17 July 2005 - 12:14 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay..

HERE are the Phoenix Beep Codes..

You are going to have to pay a little more attention to the pattern of the beeps!!

Murray

rhaal

rhaal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
there's not a pattern. it's just a beep that occurs every other second. That's what i got confused about as the phoenix uses a 3 beep code

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As long as you know the type the beep codes should be the same as the other pheonix bios, there should be a beep code section in the manual check it to find out what the beep code means.

If you have some old memory modules give them a try also make sure you are using the correct slots for the memory. If it is a memory thing.

Edited by warriorscot, 17 July 2005 - 12:21 PM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I would email Asus tech support and descripe to them what your hearing......

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Are you sure thats a phoenix bios? Here's a link and they are talking about an Award bios:

http://stores.tomsha...341/id_type=M//

Just remembered. I was working on an ECS board awhile back. The bios name on the chip and on the screen didn't match. I would email Asus and ask them which bios you have.....

Edited by macten, 17 July 2005 - 02:36 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Understanding that you cannot make out the beep code I will say this

If you are using a known working ps2 mouse and keyboard there are 3 things that create beeps

1 the system can't find useable memory, try different ram or a different slot.
2 the system can not display video, try a different card or try reseating it.
3 the mobo or a chip on it is bad, I doubt this because in my experiance when the board is bad it will not beep at all. Except it is possible that the memory dimms on the board are bad. In this condition the board will beep because the system can't find useable memory thus the mobo not the ram is bad.

Try the easy stuff first (ram and video card) I think its one of those.

Rick