Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted Registry Values

• Please log in to reply

Elevamentory

Elevamentory

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been searching all over the internet for registry fixers and maybe even presaved .reg files to fix my registry, but after three full days no luck. I am in need of help and hope I have come to the right place

I had adware/spyware on my computer called "Prositefinder.exe," that wasn't removable by running my "protection" programs (spybot, spysweeper, cwshredder etc.). It had three instances of itself in my task manager process screen, and when i deleted one, the other two would replace it. So after searching for awhile I found out to completely remove it, you had to do a search through you entire registry and delete each instance of this value, this worked perfectly. But I maid the mistake of thinking "well if this worked so perfectly maybe i could remove other spyware like this." THis is where the problem started

I opened regedit and did a search through my whole registry for "Searchassistant," looking for internet hijackers that took over my searches such as 180 search assistant, hoping deleting the values would successfully remove the problem for good. Well while searching my entire registry i did find some instances of 180 search assistant but i also found values called "SrchUI.SearchAssistant.1" and "SearchAssistantOC." After i deleted maybe 7-10 of these values, I started wondering how come there were so many of them (since i wasn't even 1/4 of the way done searching my registry and prositefinder had only about a total of 7-10 instances), so i looked it up and found it it was a microsoft value.

Everything was ok until I restarted my computer that is when the problems started appearing. When i try WMD i get internal application error, my norton internet security and antivirus don't launch because ccAPP failed to load, when i go to start search there is no search bar for me to search, and my explored ctrl+f find feature isn't working. And due to some attempts at system restore and using the ASO program restore feature, my windows original System Restore only shows a blank screen when i try to pull it up.

Does anyone know how to replace these values, or at least fix system restore. Any advice will help thanks

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
While ur Windows is booting. Press F8. This will bring up the Advanced Boot Options Menu.
Choose "Last Known Good Configuration".

If everything is workin fine now; Go to the Malware Removal Forum, they will help u to get rid of ur malware.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Why dont u try the Repair Facility from WinXP CD.
For more details. Refer this link.

Elevamentory

Elevamentory

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Wow this appears to be exactly what I needed. Except the picture seems to show windows xp proffessional setup disk (blue screen image) and i have home edition. The computer didn't come with a Xp cd and my start --> Help & Support utility doesn't even launch anymore.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Steps should be same for "Home". Hopefully this helps

Elevamentory

Elevamentory

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My Computer didn't come with a Windows Xp CD, but I know where to get one. I'll update you on my situation as soon as I try it out, thnx for all the help