Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Camera Help

• Please log in to reply

Wes2000

Wes2000

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have a Sony video camera and I basically want to be able to capture video from it onto my computer like a webcam.

The output on the camera is that two strand wire with 1 yellow and 1 black male connector or each end. I have that cable, and I have a s-video adapter that plugs into that also.

On this computer, I have a tv capture card but I dont have a S-Video input thing for some reason, I have something that looks like one, but the plug doesnt fit into it.

On my laptop I have a S-Video input, but I cant figure out how to get my laptop to recognize it. Im not sure what software I need or if it will even work. I am able to plug into that svideo and plug the end of the cord into a VCR and use the tv as a second moniter though.

Somewhere in there is a connection between the two, and I just cant seem to get them both on one computer.

Sorry for this confusing post I think.. Hope someone can help.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What kind of camera is this... DV, or high8?

Does the camera have Firewire or USB ports?

What kind of video card is it? What model?

I'm going to guess your computer supports USB-2, but does it support Firewire?

Lots of questions, but they need to be answered.

Some video cards come with dedicated S-video cables. Did you computer or video card come with a special cable?

makai

Wes2000

Wes2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
What kind of camera is this... DV, or high8?
- Video Hi8 XR

Does the camera have Firewire or USB ports?
- No

What kind of video card is it? What model?
- MSI NX6600GT-VTD128 Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit DDR3 VIVO AGP 4X/8X Video Card

I'm going to guess your computer supports USB-2, but does it support Firewire?
- Yeah, I dont think I have any firewire ports.

Lots of questions, but they need to be answered.

Some video cards come with dedicated S-video cables. Did you computer or video card come with a special cable?
- It might have, but all the s-video cables i find seem to be the same.

Hope I got them all :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You have gfx card with video in video capabilty, that means you will have composite or S-Video ports there so you can use them. They should all be the same and fit the same in S-video ports.

Wes2000

Wes2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ah I found the special cable I needed, thank you :tazz: