Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange internet programs freezing

• Please log in to reply

harbong

harbong

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've had this problem for a few months, searched a lot but none seem similar to my problem.
So I have cable internet (using a motorola modem from the isp) it works great, and then every 30 min or so a program that is using the internet freezes up (not responding) and is so for maybe 10-30 seconds, then unfreezes with a network error message (instead of loading the internet page. It only freezes when it's accessing the net (clicking a link, downloading). It only happens to internet programs, and only torrent programs freeze and don't come back.
I also use a wired linksys router and hooked up straight from modem to nic to see if it was in the router but still heppens....I think it's something in my computer's internal networking. I'm thinking about trying a new nic card (I use a motherboard nic now). Also, my housemate says he experiences the same problem (which makes me think of a virus i'm spreading - hes through my router) but i've heaven't gone up to look at his comp.
In fact, as I'm tying this message, another program has froze (bitcomet)
I've switched modems a few times, still hapens. I've also ran norton and ad-aware several times, and while they find things, the freezing problem has never left.
I'm not very network-savvy but is anything you guys can help me with?
It's not a cirtical problem but I am taking an internet class this summer and this problem makes it impossible to submit tests, and downloading torrents is impossible to set and leave, you have to tend to it constantly. So if anyone here has any advice I'd love to hear it.
thanks
harbong
one more thing - when my comptuer starts, the program tcpsvcs.exe eats up cpu so i close it and the comp runs fine, is this related?

Edited by harbong, 17 July 2005 - 08:16 AM.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Internet Freeze

Date: July 20th – 2005

Hi – Not real strong on Internet problems & Malware. . .Probably should follow the instructions at the top of the pages and check your system:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
“Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please Start Here

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Staff on this Forum is good at this . . . it is good to know what we are dealing with
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Your problem could be just hardware issues, but if it is compounded by some kind of malware, it becomes difficult. . . In the mean time, you need to describe your PC system (Specs) – so some research can be started while you are getting the malware issue/s corrected

Type: Laptop / PC
MFG: Name
Motherboard Name & Model
CPU Name & Model
Memory size
Operating System – what service pack . . . any updates or expansions . . .just before problem began
Any new hardware / software just before problem?
AGE of PC
Antivirus Programs – Name - up to date – run periodically
Any Personal Firewall Programs or just router and/or ISP
Any spyware programs: List
Web Utilities . . .List / do you clean out internet files regularly
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

TCPSVCS.EXE is a valid MS program used with TCP/IP – but some trojans can create the same file name in a different directory. One possibility. . .

Torrent programs – meaning ?? File sharing programs?? (This probably increases your virus risk . . .)

Need to know data on:
router
Network Interface card specs – (You said it is part of motherboard)

What is story on modem . . .”I switched modems several times”. . . .

What was found: “ I also ran norton and ad-aware several times, and while they find things, the freezing problem has never left.” give little more detail . . .

You mentioned classes . . .how many computers are on router? How many PCs on this router are experiencing this “same freezing” . . . . .do you mean just slow or do you loose control of Keyboard & mouse and need to reset power & reboot system?

I know there are a lot of questions, but they will be asked sooner or later. . . .Of course the last question asked will be the one that will be the key

Another task that you can do : is to test your firewall on he internet.

Gibson Research Corp. is an independent company that can give your computer an online test. Click on link & scroll down to Shields Up & click on that link & follow instructions. .. .you will be tested & given a report . . . click on “All Ports” Test (1056 ports) will be pinged & test to see if your PC answers. . .

You can also run the Leak Test . . just follow the instructions . . .

Gibson Research Corporation Home Page

Post back your results & info requested
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 20 July 2005 - 06:18 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
I forgot to put Gibson Research Link:

http://www.grc.com/

Click Here.

Jack123

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Mouse must have stuttered????

http://www.grc.com/

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 20 July 2005 - 06:34 PM.