Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD burner no longer being recognized

• Please log in to reply

LLTean

LLTean

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
When i bought my Dell computer a couple years back, it came with a CD burner installed. My comp has since crashed months ago, which I had sucessfully re-installed my OS, but just havn't used my burner in a while

When i tried to open the program today (easy roxio 5) it said it could not initialize the driver/CD burner.. i tried un-installing the Roxio 5 knowing its outdated, but cannot see to find ans drivers or even software for either the burner or Roxio in my pack of misc. Dell recovery disks. . .

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Kristine

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Does the device show up in device manager? Does it have a yellow ! next to it? If so, you need to install the driver. Go to start, my computer, right click properties, hardware, device manager, and check.

If you can't find the driver on any of your Dell cd's go to their web page and look for it.

HENNESSY730

HENNESSY730

• Pip
  • 1 posts
same thing here except i have a i/omagic cd burner and they have no drivers the ones they did provide dont work any other suggestions?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Dell should have provided a Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 oem cd with your computer. If you don't have that and it is not part of your recovery cd, you can probably find a Roxio 5 oem software cd for a small price by searching google. I bought Roxio 5 OEM about a year ago for $8.00 I believe. They are now up to version 7.5 so version 5 prices will probably be lower than what I paid. I found it on Pricegrabber. Roxio has updates for this oem basic software on their support forum page.