Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP computer will not boot up after CPU cooling fan

• Please log in to reply

hedgehog88

hedgehog88

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello...im new to this forum. and yes i know there are soo many threads with not booting up computer, but i cant find the info i need.

alright heres what happened. I bought a new cpu cooling fan to replaces the stock one. i removed the side panel, then forgot theres a cable to the cleaning fan which popped out. But i thought no biggy cuz it just came out of its connector. Then i removed the stocked cooling fan with caution. Cleaned the cpu with rubbing alcohol. Then pasted some thermal paste that came with the fan. Installed everthing correctly NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING ELSE. finished right...I turned on my computer, no noise at all and then my moniter does display anything!!!. all it says is no signal. I heard the cd rom run for a lil but no beep that i usually hear. Waiting a lil i hold the power button down to shut it off and it wont. the only way is from the back. So i decided to take the fan out and put in the stock one again. After doing that i turned on the computer and still nothing. I checked all the cables and the same to be correct. I uninstalled and reinstalled the video card...still nothing.

So my question is what happend? i didnt touch anything but the cpu cooling fan. PLEASE someone if you know help me plz.

thanks

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Did you plug the new fan into the CPU header on the motherboard?

CPU1

hedgehog88

hedgehog88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yes i did...i plugged it where the stocked one was plugged in. its spinning fine but just wont boot up.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Why did you replace cooling fan? What problem were you addressing?
Did the old stock spin when reinstalled?

When you say cooling fan . . . do you mean just the "fan" or the entire Heatsink block & fan Assembly?? And if you did replace the assembly . . .did you remove protective strip before placing on CPU?
And did you lock down assembly securely & correctly?

If you just replaced the fan - -did you mount it on correcty? so that air is blowing down into the heatsink & out the sides?

Are any fans turning? How about Power Suppy fans?

Was computer working before replacing whatever you replaced? Need to know all the details. . . .

Jack123

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

As it sounds you were very carefull and did not disturb anything so there are two things I can think of that would have caused this.

first could you have over applied the thermal paste? Depending on the type of paste you only need a small amount spread evenly.

2nd the force needed to clip the hsf (heatsink fan) into position caused the mobo to flex and damaged it. This can happen when trying to clip a hsf when the mobo is still in the case. Trust me I have already done it, its unforunate but can happen.

At this point I would remove all the drives and cards except video and reseat the ram and see if you can get a post if not try this guide and see if anything in it helps.

Rick

hedgehog88

hedgehog88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Jack123 i replaced the entire cpu fan assembly the heatsink. meaning i took out the stock and and put in a new one. i changed it cause the stock version was sooo loud that my parents are getting mad at me. i put in the zalman 7700 copper cpu fan. i didnt see any protective strip.

i followed every instruction. for the thermal paste, i put enough to cover the cpu.

the power fan turns as well.

the computer did work b4. when i changed it i didnt smell anything so i dont think anything fried.

Doby...when you say remove all the drives you mean unplug it?

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
What motherboard are you using the Zalman 7700 ALL Copper? :tazz:

Need more info?

hedgehog88

hedgehog88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

What motherboard are you using the Zalman 7700 ALL Copper?  :tazz:
Need more info?

View Post

im using a Gigabyte Pentium 4 Titan Series GA-8S655FX. its a 478 socket.

How to i clear the CMOS? i see the battery but no jumper.

Edited by hedgehog88, 17 July 2005 - 09:00 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I have to ask the obvious here... did you remove the AC plug before you replaced the fan... or did you just turn the machine off?

What kind of rubbing alcohol did you use? I hope it wasn't just something out of the medicine cabinet!

makai

Edited by makai, 17 July 2005 - 11:34 PM.

hedgehog88

hedgehog88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I have to ask the obvious here... did you remove the AC plug before you replaced the fan... or did you just turn the machine off?

What kind of rubbing alcohol did you use?  I hope it wasn't just something out of the medicine cabinet!

makai

View Post

yes i did unplug the AC..i unplugged everything before working on it.

the tech person i ask said that any ahcohol was fine as long as it has that name i forgot. then use cotton swab to clean the extras off completely.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Regular Rubbing Alcohol contains water... something in the region of 30%. I don't know the exact percentage, but it's not good to be used on electronics where power is applied unless you dry it off completely before applying power.

Isopropyl Alcohol contains NO water... or percentages in the .01% regions.

It's possible you got water under the cpu and maybe in the CPU itself when you cleaned the thermal stuff off. The water may have shorted something out.

Sorry, bad news I know, but thats the only thing I can think of that would have caused you situtation.

It might be too late, but try removing the CPU and letting it air dry for a while... a couple days maybe. Open the air holes if the cpu has them. Also use compressed air to blow away any alcohol residue in/around the cpu on the motherboard.

good luck...

makai