Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-Rom drive problems

• Please log in to reply

yemustbebornagain

yemustbebornagain

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay,
I've got a CD/DVD Rom drive that hardly works. If I put a CD in it usually just blinks for a while and then goes off. In "My Computer" it doesn't recognize if I have a CD in. But, weirdly, it works once in a great while. :tazz: I really don't think it's the actual drive's fault, because I've replaced it with another CD/DVD drive and it didn't work either. Could it be one of the wires/cords connecting it to the rest of the computer? Thanks!

Advertisements

worcesteradam

worcesteradam

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hey i have been having similar problems, and it seems now like it is exactly the same as you are describing, where it comes up once in a while.
I have two of them, both connected to the secondary IDE. I havent yet tried switching it to the primrary IDE slave to the hard drive, becasue i have work to do. But when i get around to it that might work.
I have a suspition that it is the cables also.
I have tried unplugging and replugging, them but that hasnt worked for me.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have them on the same cable one should be master, the other slave, unless you're using an 80pin atapi cable, then both should use cable select. They seem to work better with an atapi cable than the old ide cable. Also, in Device Manager you may want to check and see if your Hard Disk Controllers are working properly. If one of them has a yellow arrow you need to reinstall the drivers, but you reinstall the drivers for the main controller, I beleive. Very often you can find updated drivers for your chipset, at the computer makers, the chipset mfrs. and even the Microsoft website.

If you go into Setup you may also need to make some changes, but the different versions of BIOS vary so much that it's not really possible to make any reccomendations without knowing your BIOS version.

yemustbebornagain

yemustbebornagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
What is your suggestion to try? Sorry, but it was a little over my head. I have tried reinstalling the driver in Device Manager, to no avail. Thanks. (I've also tried unplugging/replugging. I thought maybe it was a loose connection or something. Apparently not.)

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hi yemustbebornagain,
To add to Tyger's suggestion:
In Device Manager do you have the yellow circles with ! in them by the CDROM drive??
Did this just start??
Have you uninstalled or installed any CD Burning software lately??

yemustbebornagain

yemustbebornagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
There was not and is not the (!) thing beside the drive in Device Manager. It says the device is working properly, go figure :tazz:
It happened suddenly probably a month ago. I tried calling my Gateway techs (you know the ones over in other countries who aren't understandable), but they said I'd have to get a new drive. So, I put in a drive from another computer, but like I said, that didn't fix it. I haven't installed or uninstalled any CD burning software lately.