Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Move Page file

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I want to move the page file to the very begining of my C drive, is there any software that can do this? dose any one know how to do it manuly. I want the extra proformane that you get for have the page file at the begining of the drive (I understan that this is the fastest part of the drive.

Thanks for any help :tazz:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
thats not how the pagefile works. they place it at the end so that as it needs to grow it can have the room it needs, also helps to keep it from fragmenting as much as it would if it were in the begining.

2 ways to speed up performance: 1: add memory
2: boot into safe mode, delete the pagefile.sys file from the root of c:\. reboot. it will recreat the file.

if you have a secondary drive you could move the pagefile to that drive.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't want the page file to grow, it is already 1.5GB (this is the min and max) in size and that is as big as I am going to let it be. Is there a way to move it or would I have to put it on its own partition, I only have one hard drive. I have got diskeeper So I can defragment the page file on boot.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 18 July 2005 - 12:24 AM.