Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Ghost to replicate Firewire Drive

• Please log in to reply

Vivek

Vivek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have my FCP project and source footage on a Maxtor firewire drive which is now about to crash, because it's making weird noises. So i want to back it up. Problem is that FCP always has to reconnect the media when things are moved to a new drive. But reconnecting won't work in my case. For some reason it messes up the reconnect for about a third of the project, and then it essentially has to be re-edited! Now there is nothing I can do about this. I named all the capture files as they were captured and gave them all different names. there is no reason why it should not reconnect properly. I even tried to reconnect problem clips individually to the exact capture file and it still messes up.
So the only solution I can think of is to ghost the drive to the new drive so that FCP thinks that nothing has moved or changed and so it won't look to reconnect the clips. I hope this will work. The new drive will be the exact same model as the problem drive, a Maxtor One Touch II 250 gig, 7200 rpm FW/400 USB 2.0 drive.
Any thoughts if this will work?
By the way, I only have Norton Ghost software for the PC, so I will connect both drives to my PC laptop to conduct the Ghost.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
that should work. I can't imagine why it wouldn't. if it does cause problems then I would contact the support for Final Cut Pro.