Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 to 1?

• Please log in to reply

Squashky

Squashky

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hi is it possible to have two people working off the same computer with like two moniters two keyboards????

thank you

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes that would be a terminal setup, its most commonly used in business,a computer running with two users would need a fair amount of power.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you look around, espcially at used computer stores or on EBay you might find a little box with a switch and connectors for mouse, keyboard and monitor that will let two to four people use the computer, or one person use more than one computer, but not at the same time. But you can hook two mice to most any computer, and two keyboards too.

Squashky

Squashky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
how fast does a computer have too be to be able to edit with two users???at same time???

ty for responding

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Depends on the software they both run, its ok in general workplace because the most demanding people will run is office. So if two people maybe do some word processing and listen to some music thats fine but you arent going to get more than 1 person on if someone is playing a game or doing 3d modeling. You also require a gfx card with dual monitor support all newer ATI cards have it but few nvidias have it.

Even a slow computer should handle a couple of people using word, whats the context of this do you have plans for setting up some terminals. We will be able to help more if we know what you want to do.

Squashky

Squashky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ya well i was thinking of having a dual video editing system if it was possible but now i think it is better to just get two computers and link them wat is the best way to link them together so that i could send large projects back and forth???
ty

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

ya well i was thinking of having a dual video editing system if it was possible but now i think it is better to just get two computers and link them wat is the best way to link them together so that i could send large projects back and forth???
ty

View Post

Probably by router using ethernet. And yes, if it's video editing two CPUs are better than one, so two computers will be. Video editing generally uses 100% of the CPU.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you cant do something like video editing by two remote terminals even good computers can struggle with one person doing video editing, your basic bog standard router is what you need(with more than one ethernet port), and a couple of lengths of ethernet cable.

Squashky

Squashky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
o ok thank you for helping me... that help i will do that