Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't detect hard drive partitions and DVD combo

• Please log in to reply

pcrepair

pcrepair

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

I am running Win XP Pro. Recently my system could not detect combo drive and hard drives parttions. I have 2 hard drives. It detects only one partion of each hard drive. During booting up I can see it detects the combo drives. I tried to uninstal Nero and InCD but no use. Again I installed Nero thro thumb drive no use at all.

Can someone suggest me repair this. Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are we to assume it recognizes a non booting partition? what preceded this?

pcrepair

pcrepair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I did not notice that. I find out and reply.

pcrepair

pcrepair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,

At boot up it detects only SATA hard drive where operating system resides. The other IDE hard drive is not detected, the IDE combo drive is detected during boot up but not shown in "my computer". The latest development, a friend suggested to instal the win XP service pack-2. After installation system could not boot up at all the modes like safe mode, command mode, normal mode and previous settings mode. So now the system is completely inoperable. Thanks for the help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sigh...

first, windows sp2 should not be installed on a pc with malware, so before anyone installs it, they should first get their system cleaned. That's more for other people's benefit than yours....

So, the question is, what do you want to do? And do you have a windows disk?

pcrepair

pcrepair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there, In addition to the above update. I actually installed service pack-2 through external hard drive.

pcrepair

pcrepair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have windows disc but where to put it? Should I buy one external hard drive and copy all thewindows disc to it and reinstal it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
run an a windows repair, it will overwrite the bad files

follow the steps here

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

pcrepair

pcrepair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I appreciate your reply to my problem. Thanks.

In BIOS setup I found both IDE HDD and SATA HDD and also IDE combo drive. I used repair function from XP disc. It finally said it could not repair it. Then I tried to reinstal on the same partition and finally returned with NTLDR is missing press ctrl + Alt + Del to restart. Now even in BIOS mode in all settings it did not detect IDE HDD and combo drive.