Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everything's on but no BIOS

• Please log in to reply

eXp0se

eXp0se

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Alright guys, I've got a problem on my hands.

I got my PC to start up. I went to the BIOS screen and overclocked the CPU a bit. Well....a bit is not quite right. I have a 3.0 P4 and I OC it to about 3.7, but it was only running at 40ºC. So, I continued on with my XP install and everything was working fine. I got XP installed and I was updating the firmware for my BIOS from the Gigabyte CD I got with the mobo. All of the sudden, Windows logged out and shutdown. When I tried to restart the computer, my screen said something about part of the BIOS being on the HD. Nevertheless, I shutdown and tried to restart. Everything turns on and the HDD LED shows activity, but my monitor won't turn on with the BIOS info. It just runs and keeps running, but the monitor never kicks on. I've tried three different HD and I get the same result each time.

I thought it was the CPU, but I thought the computer wouldn't even turn on if the CPU was blown out. Please help!!!!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Overclocking is best left to experts! Or... at least those who do a TON of research first. :tazz:

That said, try resetting you bios. Remove the battery and leave it out for about a minute or so. Then try to restart your computer.

By the way, the bios has nothing to do with the HD. The bios checks the ram, vid card, and cpu... and if all is good, will give you a single beep then continue booting up.

Are you getting a single beep?

makai

Edited by makai, 18 July 2005 - 08:16 PM.

eXp0se

eXp0se

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, my mobo doesn't beep at all, but I believe that because my "beeper" came unattached and I never put it in my case.

I've already tryed resetting the BIOS, but it doesn't do squat...

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Find your motherboard manual, and connect up the "beeper".

It's actually very helpful in diagnosing startup problems.

makai

eXp0se

eXp0se

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, my manual said nothing about this little beeper, but I know that it's the source or the mysterious mobo beep. It's a 4-pin connector with two wires coming out: a red wire and a ground wire.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You overclocked your pc before you installed windows! that was just a little daft. You void your warranty before you know everything works. Your manual though should mention the the audio speaker eg where to connect it. If not get the manual online it shouldbe a more recent version also some specs will be needed from you.

eXp0se

eXp0se

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Gigabyte 9i5PL-G Rev. 1 Mobo
Pentium 4 3.0 530J Prescott LGA775
1GB Kingston Hyper-X Dual Channel RAM 2700
Gigabyte X700 pro 256 PCI-Xpress x16 graphics card
350W PSU
160GB Western Digital 7200RPM HD

eXp0se

eXp0se

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Nothing in my current manual, nor the updated manual had anything describing how to attach the "beeper". I tried to attach the beeper to the speaker input on the front panel pins, but it didn't work.

Edited by eXp0se, 19 July 2005 - 02:53 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Did the speaker come with the case or does it have on if it does connect it and read the manual from the case how to. Google it as well usually works.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The speaker hookup should be in the same area as all the rest of the wires coming from the front of the computer.

Your motherboard manual will not specifically have a separate section telling you how to hook up the speaker. It will show you a diagram of how/where to connect the wires for the On button, reset button, HDD led, etc. In the same diagram will be the speaker hookup. Depending on you manual, you will sometimes have to look closely before you find this diagram.

makai

Advertisements

eXp0se

eXp0se

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
What do you guys think about this idea...

Maybe the mobo is blown out. Not the entire thing, just the part that holds the BIOS.

Any thoughts?

eXp0se

eXp0se

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
w00t! :tazz:

I have a working beeper now!!!!

I took my PCI cards, IDE drives, and RAM out and restarted my computer. I got continuous long beeps. This means that there's a DRAM error(or so my mobo manual said). When I plug my RAM in, I get no beeps at all.

I think the mobo might be messed up. Because of the overclocking, have I completely killed my chances at getting an RMA?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hold on now...

It might and might not be a motherboard problem. You need to do a little more trouble shooting and isolation.

Please install your processor, ram, and video card, then restart your computer.

The bios will check if these parts are present and are returning the expected response to the bios. If all is good, you should hear a single beep.

Do you hear a single beep?

makai

eXp0se

eXp0se

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
With only the CPU, RAM, and video card in I don't get any beeps on start up. Yet, when I restart without the RAM, I get long, continuous beeps.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, no beep with all three means something is bad.

When you pulled the ram out and got the long beep, it meant that the ram is being detected as missing and thats good because the motherboard bios is probably working.

Do you happen to have another video card you can try? Maybe borrow one from someone if you don't have one?

If you can isolate further, you can then isolate which component is actually the bad piece. Then you'll know what to rma. Just because you overclocked for a bit, doesn't mean you killed something, you may just have gotten a bad component to begin with.

By the way, sorry, I forgot to mention... make sure you also have your mouse and keyboard hooked up. The bios also checks those (especially the keyboard) and may stop if it's set up for stop on all errors.

makai

Edited by makai, 21 July 2005 - 11:33 PM.