Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cd-RW Tray Will Not stay closed now?

• Please log in to reply

staticxtreme

staticxtreme

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a dell computer that is a few years old, I also have an old compaq that had a dvd rom in it. So I took out the regular cd-rom and installed the DVD player in. Here's the problem. NOw for some reason or another the drive tray continues to eject, it will close, read, then open back up. It's not reading cd's either. The DVD Player works, and it's not exactly affecting the comps performance, but for one reason or another, it's just not staying shut. One more thing.....the XP sys, is now telling me that the DirectCD is causing windows to be unstable. But here's the thing. Roxio was uninstalled a while ago. The control Panel recognized both drives, and says they are functioning properly. Anyone know why this happening?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
A very annoying habit. If you have the atapi drive cable, it has a blue connector for the motherboard, a grey for the slave and a black for the master, you need to have your drives set to cable select. If you have an ide cable, not very common on the newer units, you have to have one set as slave the other as master. The correct setting of the jumpers seems to cure this most of the time. If not maybe you need newer chipset drivers or to make all the drives work on auto in BIOS. But BIOS setups vary so much there is no fixed rule.

staticxtreme

staticxtreme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the prompt responce. I went back and set both drives to Cable Select, rebooted, but it continues to do the same thing. As an update when I put a cd in the drive it will stop. I even put the old cd drive back in and still it does this. I have done the Slave/Master slots to, and that doesn't work either. Is there something else I should try?

Edited by staticxtreme, 19 July 2005 - 01:07 AM.

staticxtreme

staticxtreme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello? Any other adivice for this problem?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
question - the old cd drive acts the same way(door won't stay closed)?

if so, it sounds like a driver problem. let's looks at the cd/dvd devices in device manager. do you see any yellow '!' or red 'x' on any cd/dvd device?

also, have you tried removing the devices(using device manager) and rebooted?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
OK, plan B. You might try updating your chipset drivers. Your computer maker, motherboard mfr. , chipset maker, or Microsoft may have updates for them. And yes, they do improve things.