Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

Bonfire

Bonfire

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Here's another safe mode problem! Turned computer on and it came up in safe mode. Was telling me that colors and setting were wrong. At first I couldn't do anything, mouse wasn't even working, finally I got it to work and when I went in to correct the colors and setting it told me I had to restart the computer. After I did, it just came back up in safe mode. This went on forever! I have finally got back on the computer but the colors are all wrong and I don't dare shut the computer down or it will just come back up in safe mode. Any suggestions on what to do about this problem? Two friends came over to try and correct the problem and it kept doing it to them too. Don't have a clue what's going on!
Thanks

Advertisements

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi, I'm sorry I'm posting this again. I'm new and I think I got lost in the shuffle! Here's another safe mode problem! Turned computer on and it came up in safe mode. Was telling me that colors and setting were wrong. At first I couldn't do anything, mouse wasn't even working, finally I got it to work and when I went in to correct the colors and setting it told me I had to restart the computer. After I did, it just came back up in safe mode. This went on forever! I have finally got back on the computer but the colors are all wrong and I don't dare try changing the colors and settings and restart the computer or it will just come back up in safe mode. Any suggestions on what to do about this problem? Two friends came over to try and correct the problem and it kept doing it to them too. Don't have a clue what's going on! So in the meantime I am just leaving the computer on all the time. I'm a newbie on the computer and don't know if it's okay to do that.
Thanks

Koretek

Koretek

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Yes,
theres a new virus that will affect your screen colors and so it could be that, also if you care to read my post about booting up in safe mode with a keyboard that has USB you will see that windows has a selection for the PC to stay in safe mode until a certain box is checked. If your really scared to touch it I would then, go into the Malware Folder and follow the directions to leave a HijackThis log so it can be examined, with this people can tell exactly what is running on your system and if things look kosher Ok? I would say its your best bet especially if from the start of this problem you didnt change the colors yourself than its almost assuredly a virus or some nasty little guy running around in there, we have HijackThis in the downloads section under security/spyware tools or theres a link right in my signature to steps1-4, you will find more instructions there also! Good Luck!

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks for replying so fast. I will run my Adware and then download the Hijack. Please tell me after I download Hijack that I will not have to restart the computer? Otherwise I will be in trouble again!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Get into device manager and check to see what driver is listed for the video card.

Report back here.

makai

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I merged your 2 threads. Please keep the same problem in this thread. If this becomes a virus or malware issue, it will need to be moved to Malware Removal.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Sorry, I don't see anything that says video card?

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I hope I am doing this right, I really am a newbie!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:54:18 PM, on 07/19/2005
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDSERV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONSCREEN DISPLAY\OSD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\STARTER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AHEAD\INCD\INCD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\HP SHARE-TO-WEB\HPGS2WND.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HP\PERSONAL PRINTING SOLUTIONS PRODUCT RESEARCH\HP PRODUCT RESEARCH.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\DIGITAL IMAGING\UNLOAD\HPQCMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\HP SHARE-TO-WEB\HPGS2WNF.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\MOUSE\POINT32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB09.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AWS\WEATHERBUG\WEATHER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MYWEBSEARCH\BAR\4.BIN\MWSOEMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZIPM12.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\W9E3O12R\HIJACKTHIS[1].EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.iwon.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.tcnuts.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = The Computer Nuts
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
F1 - win.ini: run=hpfsched
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN1\YCOMP5_5_7_0.DLL
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {35E78239-811E-4c3f-B37D-F339AC16C2C0} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMET\BIN\AUTOSEARCH.DLL (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN1\YCOMP5_5_7_0.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {2CDE1A7D-A478-4291-BF31-E1B4C16F92EB} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Metrics] C:\Program Files\HP\Personal Printing Solutions Product Research\HP Product Research.exe a
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPHMON05.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USSShReg] C:\PROGRA~1\SSAVER\USSSHREG.EXE /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb09.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AWS\WEATHERBUG\WEATHER.EXE 1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\BAR\4.BIN\MWSOEMON.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mywebsear...html?p=ZSxdm433
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe (HKCU)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {6685509E-B47B-4f47-8E16-9A5F3A62F683} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.r...ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {F00F4763-7355-4725-82F7-0DA94A256D46} (IncrediMail) - http://www5.incredim...p1/imloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by19fd.bay19....es/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {88D758A3-D33B-45FD-91E3-67749B4057FA} (Sinstaller Class) - http://dm.screensave.../sinstaller.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-DEFA-EB76B1D5FA7D} - http://prizeamerica....dle/PA_live.cab
O16 - DPF: {E9348280-2D74-4933-BE25-73D946926795} (DeviceEnum Class) - http://h20270.www2.h...cdetection3.cab

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Open Display Properties and look down the list for Display adapters.

Expand Display adapters by clicking on the plus sign (+)

Check to see if your display adapter is listed.

And... read my signature and post the info if you have it.

makai

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
It says ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir 3)

I have an HP Pavilion 6370Z
Intel Pentium 11
350 MHZ 100MHZ system
96 MB SDram
9.6 GB hard drive

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This is the vid driver from the HP site...
http://h20000.www2.h...river Graphics

Download and install it.

Let us know how it goes.

makai

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok Makai, I downloaded it, now what am I suppose to do with it? I went into display and checked the settings and colors. The settings are okay but the colors are still messed up. Did you take a look at the Hijack I sent, is anything wrong with it? Appreciate your help but I really don't have a clue what the heck I am doing!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you install the driver? Just double-click on it and follow the prompts. You will be prompted to restart your computer, but you really have no choice but to do so in order to try to fix this.

You do have some nasties in your hijackthis log. However, you have to post it in the Malware forum.

makai

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I did install it and restarted the computer. At least the computer is not coming up in safe mode! But the colors are still not right, they look gritty. I have tried everyone of them and it still looks the same. When I browse around the net some of the colors are not showing up. It's set at 256 colors at the moment but I have tried all the different ones and still comes up looking the same.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, the fact that you're not in Safe mode is good news. I guess windows finally recognizes your vid card/driver.

I'm not quite sure I understand about the color problem. When you say you have tried every one of them, do you mean you changed the color quality settings in Display Properties?

What's the highest color quality you can select in Display properties?

makai

Edited by makai, 20 July 2005 - 12:12 AM.