Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keeping Numlock on during bootup

• Please log in to reply

urichjones

urichjones

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I use my keypad a lot and I notice that everytime I bootup my numlock is off. I've set my bios to boot with numlock "on" and it does so until I get to the windows splash screen. Then it turns off. Numlock use to stay on until about a month or so ago. Does anyone know of a setting in windows that affects numlock?
Thanks for you time,

Urich

Edited by urichjones, 19 July 2005 - 08:41 AM.

Advertisements

hardik_harsora

hardik_harsora

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I use my keypad a lot and I notice that everytime I bootup my numlock is off.  I've set my bios to boot with numlock "on" and it does so until I get to the windows splash screen.  Then it turns off.  Numlock use to stay on until about a month or so ago. Does anyone know of a setting in windows that affects numlock?
Thanks for you time,

Urich

View Post

TRY AND USE THE SYSTEM RESTORE OPTION IN THE WINDOWS XP :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
from

http://www.kellys-ko...k_bookmarks.htm
Set Numlock State on Startup

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators

0 = numberlock off
2 = numberlock on

If you want the numlock on at the welcome screen you also need to change:

HKEY USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators same number values as above.

urichjones

urichjones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks gerryf! That is a tweak I will remember! Worked perfectly! It was so frustrating trying to type in some number and then look up at the screen and notice I didn't type in anything but a bunch of directional arrows.
Thanks,

Urich