Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with IE6

• Please log in to reply

victim of a down

victim of a down

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Alright, here's what happens. Someone goes on the internet, does whatever he/she needs, and then gets offline (this is on dial-up with a 56k modem, that's all we can get where we live, it sucks). Anyway, then someone else will come to get on the internet and it will connect, but then IE6 just freezes. The whole computer freezes. You can usually get out of IE with ctrl+alt+delete, but you CANNOT open another IE window. It just won't open. You can then get into My Computer, andmaybe into Control Panel, but it won't open anything after that. I've tried the two fixes in the topic that's pinned at the top, but my Gateway only came with a reboot DVD, and it always asks for the "Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD" when I try fix two, and I guess the first fix didn'twork. If someone could point me to a file that contains what it needs (IEXPLORER.EXE), or direct me to a different fix I would really appreciate it. This is a new computer and my dad is getting extremely mad. Thanks a lot.

Advertisements

victim of a down

victim of a down

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oh, I forgot to mention this started right about the time I installed LimeWire. I've uninstalled it, taken it off Windows Firewall's "unblock list." And I think this problem may be related to that.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello and welcome to GeeksToGo. I can almost guarantee that you have a Malware/Spyware/Virus issue, and 99% sure that is from the Limewire.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

victim of a down

victim of a down

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I already did all of that. I don't know what to do. I think I may have to reformat, but I really don't want to.