Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet connection.

• Please log in to reply

emz_89

emz_89

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there,

I am going on holiday this week and i'm taking my laptop with me, first time i've ever taken it away from home! I am staying in a small hotel which has free internet connection in all the rooms, the connection is ethernet.

My laptop specs :
Sony Vaio PCG GRT 915M
Intel Pentium 4 processor 2.8Ghz
60GB hard drive
512mb memory
Modem: Built-in V.92/V.90 (56kbps)
data/fax modem (RJ-11)
Wireless LAN 802.11b/g
Network: Ethernet 10BASE-T/100 BASE-TX (RJ-45)

What I want to know is, should I plug it in to the ethernet port at the back of the laptop and will that automatically connent me to the internet, or will it be more complicated than that? Will I need to do anything before I go?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. :tazz:

Advertisements

Snickets

Snickets

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Hello emz_89,

No you will not have to do anything for the internet connection.

Great thing about windows is if there is any new port connection that you are working from it will automatically detect the new ip.

If you are unsure how to check if you are on automatic check for ip follow the instructions below to see what your configuration is:

1. Click on my network>then view network connections>then your local area connection icon will be in here.

2. Right click on the local area connection icon>click properties>then you will see a general tab at the top of the box that needs to be clicked on.

3. On this window you will see a section that states this connection uses the following items with a list of items. Highlight Internet Protocol then click on Properties to the bottom right of the box.

4. Then when the next window pops up make sure the radial box for automatically check for ip is clicked on and if not this is where you will need to go in order to get your connection at the hotel. Just check the automatically check for ip and hit apply and you will be ready to surf it up.

*Important* If it is not checked when you go in make sure to right down all the ip information or do a screen shot of it so that you will have it when you get home.

Thanks,

Snickets

:tazz:

emz_89

emz_89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Snickets!

Thank you very much for your helpful advice! I'll print that and take it with me!

Will I need to do this each time I connect to the internet there? Or just the once?

Thanks!
Emma