Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system won't read boot disc

• Please log in to reply

frameltons

frameltons

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i tried installing a second hard drive yesterday - i made ms-dos boot disc then proceeded - i set the hdd to slave and plugged it in and all seemed well - i shut down to screw everything down and when i started up again windows wouldn't boot up - i was prompted to insert boot-disk and press any key to continue but the computer can't read the disc - that's where i've been ...

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
A little confused here... why did you have to make a msdos boot disk?

When you set the second drive to slave, did you set the other one to master?

What is the boot order in bios?

makai

frameltons

frameltons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i was using a walk-through that suggested i make the boot disc - i can't find the site now - i only assumed the first hdd was set to master and it's the only hdd now - i don't know the boot order 'cause i can't even get to the bios

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

i can't even get to the bios

What exactly does this mean?

Does it mean your computer doesn't even attempt to boot?

Or does it mean you can't access bios by hitting the delete key?

Where is the computer hung up at?

makai

frameltons

frameltons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
don't really know where i'm hung up at - i guess that's why i'm here - didn't know about using the delete key to get to bios - maybe i'll shut this down for awhile and give it another shot - anymore tips? ...

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

by hitting the delete key?

I threw that in so I wouldn't insult you! :tazz: It's difficult to know how much a poster knows!

Get your computer back to it's original configuration. Remove the second hard drive you installed. Set the jumper on the existing main hard drive to Master... even if there is no slave drive. Having it set to master will not hurt your configuration, but it will help it later when you go to install the slave drive.

Let me know how it goes and if you require more help.

makai

frameltons

frameltons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanks - i'll take another whack at it - don't worry about insulting me - i realize i'm very inexperienced here - maybe i should have come here for advice in the first place...

frameltons

frameltons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanks makai - i got it back up - now to get back to what i wanted to do in the first place ...

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Good luck with your endeavor!!!!

makai