Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't read DVD+R

• Please log in to reply

Jwred5

Jwred5

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just bought a DVD 8X multiformat DVD burner, External USB 2.0. The brand is Pacific Digital, Though I believe it is really a rebranded Liteon or something cause thats what driver WinXP gave me. I burned the DVD+R just fine in about 10 minutes at 4X, it was a Maxell 4X DVD+R. The problem I have now is that I can't get at any of the files I copied onto the disc. When I try to, Windows Explorer just locks up. I can see the files, I just cant read or copy and of them. At one point, it gave me an error that said "Path is too deep". Can anyone help me? I got the burner to backup my files, but it's no use if I can't access them afterwards. To try and read the DVD, I used both my laptop's internal CD-RW and the original DVD burner that made it, neither worked.

Advertisements

Jwred5

Jwred5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Now I'm getting a CRC error when I try to read it. I'm wondering if maybe the smartspeed used to burn it may not have used the correct speed, i saw it go up to 5X at one point and the disk is 4X, and damaged the DVD. Is that possible? is it more likely a glitch in the hardware/software burning it, or the software/hardware trying to read it.
I tried reading it in 4 drives. 2 of the drives couldn't even recognize it, but they were older DVD-ROMs. 1 was the DVD burner i burned it on. the other was my Matshita DVD/CD-RW that came preinstalled on my IBM T40.