Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a Serial Badly

• Please log in to reply

ross_s_cfc

ross_s_cfc

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Formated my laptop and i was prompted for a registration key tried entering the key that i have with my Xp disc , unfortunately for me im told that the key is registered to another computer , but this is impossible as far as im concerned it is also the serial that is on the sticker at the bottom of my laptop , i called microsoft up they informed me that i would have to get a new serial from the place i purchased my laptop but unfortunately again i got my laptop a year ago from an independant retailer that is no longer there , microsoft have informed me that i will have to purchase a new Xp os and lose all software and files on my comp , i dont know if this is 100% correct or if its just down to bad attitude of the guy i spoke to on the telephone can anyone help me out here , thanks in advance ross :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i don't know how we can help....first, if you formatted your drive, all your files and programs are already gone....so, we couldn't save them anyway (certainly not the programs, maybe some files).

Nor can I give you a cd-key....I only have one for each machine I own, so not sure what you're asking for.

Do you have a legitimate cd, the one with the hologram burned into the cd? And a legitimate sticker with a Certificate of Authenticity (and cd-key)?

There was a windows amesty program where if you provided a proof of purchase and turned in the pirated cd, AND reported the person who sold it to you, microsoft would give you a new windows cd.

I do not know if that is still being done

ross_s_cfc

ross_s_cfc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The sticker on the bottom of my laptop should be suffice i would imagine ,its the key i originally used , yeah the files and programs i would lose are from the past 30 days that i wewas given to register my OS , basically im just looking for any pointers or for any one that knows a way round having to purchase a new XP Os :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not really

...I sympathize with your situation, but while I am sure you did nothing wrong, you are asking us to be complicit in your pc makers piracy....

It sounds like the pc maker installed your OS on multiple machines...there's not much that can be done from our standpoint, other than tell you how to pirate windows, and we do not do that.

sorry

ross_s_cfc

ross_s_cfc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Im not sure that the Os was installed on more than one machine but then again what do i know , well is there any advice i can be given at all i wasnt really asking how to rip microsoft off but it kinda looks as though its the only solution lol , what do u suggest i do

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would purchase an OEM copy of xp home from a reputable dealer like Newegg

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16837102151

An OEM copy, note, means the license travels with the machine, not the owner, so ifyou sell the pc, you must turn over the cd and COA

Also, Microsoft does not provide support for OEM copies (not that their support is worth anything--with one caveat...if you scratch a retail cd, MS will send a new one, scratch and OEM and you are out of luck so the first thing you do is copy the cd and lock the original in a vault)

websterd

websterd

• Pip
  • 5 posts
purchasing an OEM cd is something I did. However, I have been informed i have to performa clean install (ie, re-install all software, backup and restore all data). This is a bit of a pain. Is there a way of changing serials (i already have windows installed but would like to make my pc legit). Or an alternate route to the end goal of legitimacy?

Thanks.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
If u hav'nt already activated ur windows, follow the stpes below:
Start-> Run. Type: oobe/msoobe /a. Press Enter.
This will open the Windows Activation Wizard. There should be a change serial key option some-where in the Wizard; I can't remember, because I can't run the Wizard again as my Windows is already activated.

websterd

websterd

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the response. The product has already been activated. This is my challenge. I acquired my computer with windows already installed, however, update.microsoft.com has informed me that the serial cannot be validated. For this reason I purchased an OEM CD, before I realised that I needed to do a clean install with OEM CDs. The suggestion above from 'gerryf' seems to suggest there is a simple way to overcome this.

Is there a simple solution? Or should I throw my OEM cd out and purchase a full version?

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Follow these stpes to reset ur serial key:
Run regedit and go to:
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents
on the right double click on "OOBEtimer" and change at least one digit of this value to deactivate windows.

Now run the Activation Wizard as suggested before.

Advertisements

nost

nost

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Edited at the request of Darth_Ash

Please do not offer to send Product Keys by e-mail or any other means

Please do not post an e-mail address

Please do not post a request for an e-mail address of another member

Please read the site terms and conditions

Edited by Keith, 15 August 2005 - 04:24 AM.

websterd

websterd

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Darth Ash

I went through the process as you described and unfortunately was prompted with the response "incorrect product id". I went through the process of phoning Microsoft and the issue is now back a the retailer to clarify with Microsoft the correct serial number.

But in the meantime wanted to check back with you (or anyone on this board).

Do you think the above problem might be due to the fact that I didn't install the Microsoft XP Pro from the CD or that it had another product key previous to this one?

Have you seen similar problems in other cases?

Thought I'd just check.

Thanks for the help.

nost

nost

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
what did you install it off.

websterd

websterd

• Pip
  • 5 posts
As I mentioned in my initial post, the PC I inherited came installed with Windows (not legal). I am trying to update the serial from a legit OEM disk without having the completely reformat / reinstall every software program I have on the pc.

nost

nost

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
whats your email address