Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE/page cannot be displayed

• Please log in to reply

stormylane

stormylane

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello all,
My son is having a problem with his computer. He said when he tries to open internet explorer he gets a page cannot be displayed message. (everytime)
I believe he has xp pro.
He isn't sure but he thought maybe his computer geek friend hooked him up with a virus or something. The computer worked fine untill his "friend" got a hold of it. This guy will do things like that for a joke. (i know it's not funny, but the guy is an idiot and thinks it is) But he gets a kick out of crashing peoples systems.
My son asked him if he played on of his "pranks" on him and the swore he didn't... but my son hasn't been able to get IE to open since his friend was working on it.
He can get online, only each time he tries to open a window or go somewhere... he get "page cannot be displayed". Any ideas?

thanks in advance

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Could be malware

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread and bump it up.

I suspect it could be a ruined tcpip stack...if so, there are several ways to fix it based on what OS you have....doing the above will make that clear

stormylane

stormylane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for your help.
He said he can't download anything because everywhere he tries to go it says "page cannot be displayed". He can get online but can't access the web. (does that make sence?)
So he can't run programs that he doesn't already have downloaded.
He did run ad aware since he has that on his computer already.

I hope I'm using this forum correctly. I'm a little confused by it and I'm afraid I won't find my way back to this thread so I've just been shrinking the window. Please be patient with me if I get lost in here. lol

Thank you for helping.

stormylane

stormylane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello,

My son said he can't download any new programs because he can't get the pages to open. He just gets a "cannot find server error or DNS error internet explorer.

When he restarts his computer this is the errors the computer locates & info given.

wuamkop32.exe
APPname:wuamkop32.exe - AppVer: 0.0.0.0 -
Modname:wuamkop32.exe - ModVeri: 0.0.0.0 - offset: 00086fa0
c:\Docume~1\compaq\locals~1\temp\wer4.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

Appname:scrtkfg.exe- AppVer: 0.0.0.0 - Modname: scrtkfg.exe
Modver: o.o.o.o- offset: 0008d250
c:\Docume~1\compaq\locala~1\temp\wer3.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

Does this give us any information as to what the problem may be?

Thank You for Your help

Edited by stormylane, 20 July 2005 - 11:37 AM.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
You have more than one pc at home I take it? Download all the recommended programs from that machine and burn them to a cd or put them on a USB stick. Put the cd or USB stick in your sons machine and install the programs.

stormylane

stormylane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No just my computer here. He wrote down the info and came over so I could type it out & ask questions.
Thank you for your help... he wanted to know how he could get those programs(in the malware section) if he couldn't get online. But you answered that question for us already.
Thank you so much.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
You're very welcome.