Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't login to Hotmail or use Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply

argelis

argelis

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer was working fine until one day I couldn't sign in to hotmail or use windows update. I can access hotmail only through outlook express so I know the passwords and settings are ok. I can get the hotmail home page but when I sign in then an error message says page unavailable check network settings. Also when I use windows update the page freezes at 0% with error (0x800c005 I think) page unavailable. I am sure these problems are linked. I can surf all other pages on the net without any problems. Also I can sign into hotmail with another computer without any problems using the same settings and proxy server settings from the internet provider. The only difficulties are with hotmail sign in and windows update. I have restored all the internet settings (including security) to default and have tested that I can log into secure sites OK. I have tried using IE6 with and without the proxy server and with and without checking the Automatically detect settings box but the problem persists. ( I use Norton System Works to regularly check the system) I do not have a firewall or anti virus running. However the problem still persists. Any suggestions would be welcome please.

Using XP & Internet Explorer. :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
From what I've found on google, just putting in the error number, you have problems with the XML parsing engine and need to download this patch. Since you can't get to the site you may be able to download it to a floppy or two on another computer and run it that way.

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

page freezes at 0% with error (0x800c005 I think)

View Post

don't think, no...

please, take the time to accurately report error messages if you want people to help you

argelis

argelis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

don't think, no...

please, take the time to accurately report error messages if you want people to help you

View Post

GerryF - at the time I posted the message I was writing from memory....apologies....the exact error message when attempting to access hotmail is " page unavailable check network settings " and windows update reveals the same message on a blank page.

What could it be?