Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big Trouble after Start Up

• Please log in to reply

loyinad

loyinad

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Recently I tried starting up my computer as usual. Everything went fine until I got to the login screen. Once I clicked on my User account I noticed that it was loading very slowly. The Wallpaper turned out to be the only thing that loaded. No taskbar No icons nothing. The Wallpaper image is all that showed. I tried clicking in random places and nothing happened. After a while I realised that a few keyboard shortcuts would work. Ctrl+alt-del was able to get me the task manager. I could see some processes going but no applications. Hitting the windows key on its own would not bring the Start bar up. With windows+L I was able to Logout and try logging in to another account. The same thing happened. Slow load, only a different wallpaper showing. Again I could only open task manager. I've tried restarting the computer like a bazillion times and I also tried restarting in safe mode all resulting in the same thing. I'm pretty sure that its not that the icons are hidden or anything. I really don't want to reformat my Computer because there are a lot of important files on it that can't be replaced. Also I'm not sure if I have a disc that I can use to reformat and reinstall Windows XP.

Ahhhhh!
PLEASE HELP ME!

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Look for your XP cd. Once you find it, boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by pressing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

loyinad

loyinad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks I'll try that.

If I still can't find my XP cd can I borrow one from someone else or go buy a new one?

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
You could try to borrow one from a friend but I am not quite sure if it'll work, though. If you would buy a new one you'd have to buy a new license which als omigt not work. If you would buy a new one, you would be better off reinstalling it I think.

loyinad

loyinad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok. This didn't work because the XP CD didn't detect the Windows on my computer, so I can't repair it. Is there any possible way to extract the files from my hard drive before reformatting? Or is there anything I can do from the (Run. . . ) in the Task Manager to save the files from being lost somehow? Thanks for the help so far.

-Daniel

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi loyinad...Wekcome to G2G!

You might give this a try...it might even work...

http://support.micro...id=1173&sid=156

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 25 July 2005 - 09:35 PM.

loyinad

loyinad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks I'll try that

loyinad

loyinad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks wannabe1, but unfortunately it didn't work.

While messing around with it a bit more I found out I can open my web browser by typing a URL in the Run window. So I'm using the computer to post this reply right now.

Is there anything else I can access through the Run window and is there anything else anyone has as an answer to my problem.

loyinad

loyinad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Another thing i recently found out is that i can open some applications as long as i open them through a different program. I was able to open my iTunes, for instance, by going to a website with a downloadable sound clip. I downloaded it and selected open with iTunes and my itunes worked. All of my old songs are still there so i know nothing is wrong with that. It is just some Windows problem.

Can anyone think of any way I could get files off my computer on to a Portable Hard Drive, So that i can reformat and not have to worry about this?