Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

deleting old xp installations

• Please log in to reply

redled

redled

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there,
I have recently re-installed xp on my computer because the old xp os had gone crazy. The computer is running fine now but every time it boots up I get a choice of which installation to use. How can I delete my old (definitely corrupt) version.

Thanks
Red

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Format the partition your old XP version was on.

Here is a link how to format the partition.

Emery

redled

redled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Emery,
The old and the new xp versions appear to be on the same partition(could this be possible?) How can I tell if they are on the same partition or not ?
If I format the partition I will lose both versions

Thanks
Red

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Start->Run. Type msconfig. Press Enter.
In the newly opened System Configuration Utility Window, click on the BOOT.INI tab.
Now compare partition(x) value on the two lines below the [operating systems] line.
If they are the same, then they are on the same partition.

redled

redled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks folks,
I'll do that tonight as I am at work at the moment

Rgds,
Red

redled

redled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,
The two versions are on the one partition, is there any way I can just delete the old corrupt version without formatting the partition because my new version has the service pack 2 installed which took a long time over dial-up! I don't have the heart to go thru that again!!

Thanks
Red

redled

redled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,
The two versions are on the one partition, is there any way I can just delete the old corrupt version without formatting the partition because my new version has the service pack 2 installed which took a long time over dial-up! I don't have the heart to go thru that again!!

Or could I create a new partition and copy the good installation of xp to my new partition and then format the old partition. How would I go about doing this ?

Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks
Red

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
First of two XP installations cant be on the same partition.
The second repeated entry in ur boot.ini is just the remainants of ur old XP installation.
If there are excatly the same, u can delete one entry.

nost

nost

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
if i was you i would delete both partitions or the 1 you have got both xp installations on then put a fresh windows on. you must of installed windows xp last time without formatiing your hard drive.

redled

redled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,
Thanks for your replies..
I only have the 1 partition with the two installations on - How do I delete that partition and when it's deleted can I use my 'xp recovery disk' to create a new partition and reinstall xp ?

Regards
Red