Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Check disk

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I have been trying to run check disk as part of regular maintenance of my PC, but when I start it is as all ways says it can't run now but it can be scheduled to run on the next boot so it say yes and reboot my computer. then on the reboot it shows the screen for a second and then skips it and check disk dose not run. it was working a week ago, I think I have changed a setting of something can any one help.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you've loaded too many files into memory it refuses to run. You have to run it immediately on boot up. Try that and let us know. You don't need to run it often, only if you have indications of a problem.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
If it doesn't work during startup, try running Check disk in safe mode.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It dose work from safe mode but this is inconvent, it there a DOS command the will reboot my computer in to safe mode? I am trying to get it to run from a batch file, I can't do it from any method. It is probley as segested too many files in memory, 218MB at start up mainly because of norton useing up heaps of it. One of you said that it is only need if you have problems, the idea is to prevert all problems.