Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low Screen Resolution ?DRIVER PROBLEMS?

• Please log in to reply

IanSpark

IanSpark

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi All,

After a viral infection I did a clean install of XP Pro SPR 1a, installed more anti-viral software etc. and downloaded SP2. Then the monitor resolution went to [bleep] - the grapics controller, monitor and audio device drivers had disappeared and only Windows default drivers were referenced. With the help of EVEREST a I visited the Intel and Siemens sites and downloaded the relevant drivers. Bliss - my monitor and sounds were back to normal.

However, I installed pcAnywhere 10 on the machine and the monitor defaulted to the lowest resolution again, this time the correct drivers were registered. Reloading the graphics controller and monitor drivers didn't work and all system restore doesn't cure the problem either. It's taken a long time to get this far and I'm getting !***! desperate... :tazz: Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

System Info is:

Motherboard: Fujitsu Siemens D1457
Chipset: Intel 845G
Graphics Controller: Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
Monitor: 19" Samsung SyncMaster 950p(T) CRT

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
*warning! stupid sounding question* Have you checked your display settings? (sorry but i have to ask)

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Are you sure you're not running pcAnywhere and it's setting the screen resolution lower to decrease the bandwidth used for the app?

Just a stab in the dark.

IanSpark

IanSpark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
:tazz: Yup desnette. They are set at "bloody awful" - 640 x 480 with a colour quality of 4 bits. The display adapter is only supporting 640 x 480 and 800 x 600 (16 colour) modes at the mo'. I've gone through and Monitor and Adapter troubleshooting which suggest upgrading all drivers, turn off acceleration (been there, done that), and searching Microsoft's site for help has been frustrating. I can't even find the white paper that talked about some programs incorrectly pointing registry settings to default drivers (which might have been relevant).

Thanks for the suggestion splintax, but no it's off.

Edited by IanSpark, 20 July 2005 - 08:34 AM.