Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP onto an internal/external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

jarotar

jarotar

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My computer was acting up and I couldn't get it started, so I took out the hard drive and put it into a case to use it as an external drive on another computer. That worked fine and I formatted it, but now I want to be able to put Windows XP back onto it but when I put it back into the first computer it wouldn't do anything even though I put the XP installation CD in. Do I have to install drivers to recognize the CD drive or can I just install XP while it is still an external drive? Thank you very much.

:tazz: NINJAS RULE

Edited by jarotar, 20 July 2005 - 01:45 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first off...ninjas do indeed rule....secondly what are your jumper settings on the drive?

jarotar

jarotar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have no idea because this is all been trial and error up to this point to get this thing working. Is the jumper that little pin thing that moves and if it's on a certain spot the computer won't recognize it? If so, that thing is on the all the way left side.

:tazz: ;) LLCN: Ladies Love Cool Ninjas

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe ooookkk...the left side...can you look at the drive? is it out of the machine? look at the back next to all of those connections with the pins...there is a small section of pins with a black plastic thing that looks like it might be called a jumper (its a difficult doo-dad to describe) somewhere on the drive itself next to that spot there should be some letters like ms cs sl or something like that....make sure that jumper is jumping the pins under cs

jarotar

jarotar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok I've done that. What's next?

;) :tazz: WHOO! GO NINJAS

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
put it in the machine and start it

jarotar

jarotar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I already tried putting it back into the first computer and when I did it said "Remove disks from drives. Press any key to restart." (or something to that effect)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so do you have a disk in any of your drives?

jarotar

jarotar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Nope. Like I said, it's messed up. There's absolutely nothing on the drive so I didn't expect it to do much. Any suggestions?

:tazz: ;) I'm running out of ninja-related things to say...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well i meant like in the floppy or cd drive.if it is telling you that there is a disk in a drive then there is probably a floppy in your floppy drive

Advertisements

jarotar

jarotar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
There is not...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try disconnecting the floppy, put your windows cd in the drive, and boot

jarotar

jarotar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Will the hard drive recognize the cd drive or do I need to put drivers or something onto it first?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it should pick it up enough to boot off of the xp cd....just make sure your boot order is set to boot from cd first

jarotar

jarotar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
And pray tell, how do I do that? Put it in REAL layman's terms please.