Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help setting up wireless network

• Please log in to reply

ashleyw83

ashleyw83

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am totally new to this, and I am trying to set up a wireless network, but i've ran into a couple problems that I'm hoping people will help me fix.

I'm running Windows XP & have a Verizon DSL connection, using a Westell Versalink modem. I am attempting to install a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router.

Basically, my problem is that when I connect the router, I can't connect to the internet. All the lights that should be green on the router are (Power, WLAN & Ethernet 1 all solid green).

I've been researching, and I think that there is a problem with my computer's ISP address, and its DHCP settings. I set it to automatically search for the DHCP, but my ISP settings are still as follows:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ashley>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ashleycomp
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VM Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-A5-FA-E7-C5
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

I know that some of those are not what they are supposed to be, but I just don't know how to fix them.

Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
sounds like you have DHCP issue. try to assign static IP, can you ping the router?

jakestaby

jakestaby

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Usually the problem doesn't lie on your side, but on your ISP's. If you got a new router, you have a new MAC address. Usually, ISPs keep strict track of what devices are connected to their network.

There are really only two options at this point.
1. Call your ISP and get your router provisioned on their system.
2. Use your router's configuration screen to clone the existing MAC address.

Give it a try and let me know if you need more help.

ashleyw83

ashleyw83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay I have been trying out different things with the equipment and here is where I am now.

I did some research on the modem that I am connecting with, and it seems like it has wireless capability already. I am a little unclear on the terminology the company is using but here is the product in for the Westell Versalink gateway:
Westell Versalink

So I thought that because this modem is already a gateway, I should rearrange how the setup cd said to connect the cables. I moved the existing ethernet cable on the modem that was plugged into the E1 Ethernet port, to the E2 port (the other end is still directly connected to the computer), and I connected the ethernet cable that came with the Router into the E1 port; and the other end is connected to the internet port on the router. With this setup, I am able to connect to the internet with the router introduced into the circle.

Right now the lights on the modem & router are the following:
Modem:
Power - Solid Green
E1 - Solid Green
E2 - Solid Green
Wireless - Blinking Green
DSL - Solid Green

Router:
Power - Solid Green
WLAN - Solid Green
Internet - Solid Green

And 2nd computer that I am attempting to network to my main computer has the Wireless-G Network Adapter plugged in, and it says it is connected to the network.

So i think I am close to having this finally working but.. here is my question.

How does the 2nd computer connect to the internet? It says it is connected to the network, and my main computer has an internet connection, but the 2nd computer is not connecting to the internet. I am not sure what to do about that, and I am a little confused about how the internet connection for that 2nd computer is supposed to work.

If someone could just explain to me how that would work and what I should do to get that 2nd computer connecting to the internet..

I am using a Verizon Online dsl connection.

Thanks for any help you could give me.

Shaggy

Shaggy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm probably just tired, but you confused the heck outta me. In theory, if your DSL device is capable of wireless, you shouldn't need the Linksys at all. Sounds like you have the Linksys duplicating the job of your Versalink device.

Looking over the info on the Versalink per the link you provided, you don't need the Linksys. Take it back and spend the money on some other cool toys. The Versalink will do everything the Linksys can do plus it's your gateway, so you only need the single device.

Now the next step I'm assuming will be dealing with getting your wireless computer to "talk" to the Versalink. I am hoping that your operating system on the wireless computer is Windows XP SP2. Can you confirm this?

Edited by Shaggy, 27 July 2005 - 04:57 PM.

ashleyw83

ashleyw83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It's actually XP SP1. Is that going to mess me up?

Shaggy

Shaggy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I wouldn't say that it will mess you up if you only have SP1, but if you are so inclined I recommend installing SP2. There are features built into SP2 that make wireless a bit less painful to deal with, however, SP1 should still work.