Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2000 Professional Startup/Shutdown screen

• Please log in to reply

Brock347

Brock347

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey-
I'm posting here in the hopes that someone remebers their Win 2000 better than I do. I left a shared computer yesterday morning without logging out, and when I got back today someone had changed the Startup / Shutdown desktop image to pron. I'm not talking about the actual desktop background, that is still the same. But whenever I login or logout the desktop background switched for about a second or less. The desktop background also changes whenever I hit ctrl-alt-del to change users or lock the system, etc. I've found a few programs that say they can change these images, but without admin rights to the network I cant install these programs. Does anyone know where or how to change these images back? I have tried just searching for the .bmp file and deleting it but I can't seem to find it. And no, I didn't visit any pron sites on the shared computer... that's what my personal one is for! Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Brock347, 21 July 2005 - 03:10 AM.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
There are two ways in which u can change the Startup screen, it can be anyone of the following cases:

1) Someone changed the NTOSKRNL.EXE file.
To check this case, open cmd. Type sfc /SCANONCE. Reboot ur PC.
See if u get an message that the NTOSKRNL.EXE is corrupted, or altered. If yes, replace it with a fresh copy from the CD.

2) Some put his own modified kernel file in boot.ini:
Open boot.ini. Look for "/kernel=xxxxxxx.exe" (where xxxxxxx is any filename). If u find this option, delete only thisoption, not the full line.