Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blood Hound

• Please log in to reply

waterbanshee

waterbanshee

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Good afternoon. A friend of mine is running Win98. He called the other day stating he was infected with the Blood Hound virus. When he ran nortons he deleted WININET file. Is there a way to recover file without reloading windows ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Should be on the CD in a CAB file (winzip can open these). Don't know which cab file it's in though so you'll just have to open them till you find it. Also, you'll need to know which folder to extract it to. Since I no longer use Win9x I can't help you there.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I have someone looking for 98 machines infected with wininet.dll. Are you still having problems with his?

waterbanshee

waterbanshee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes his system is still infected... :tazz: Its not easy trying to walk him through it over the phone and to make matters worse I haven't run WIN98 in years.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
He isn't looking for it anymore and since it's already gone. :tazz:

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

waterbanshee

waterbanshee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the quick response. He is bring his PC over tomorrow.. I will post than.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
It will probably be easier for him, for you and for me. ;)

Just keep it in this thread, OK? :tazz:

waterbanshee

waterbanshee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I managed to clean system with info I collected throughout this forum however I have one Dump question for anyone who can answer it. After cleaning system and upgrading to XP somehow I converted his desk to into a tool bar tab :tazz:
Is there a way to get ICONS back on the back ground ?

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

desk to into a tool bar tab

I don't quite understand. Some malware changes the appearance of the desktop, so if you want to post a log just to make sure you got all of it, I'll take a look at it. :tazz:

waterbanshee

waterbanshee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
All ICONS on desk top are only accessable by clicking small tab on tool bar. I somehow changed the desktop settings I just can't remeber what I changed.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I think I'd feel better if you gave me a hijack this log. Look in my signature for instructions. Post it in this thread and then I'll move it from this thread ito the malware section for me to work on. :tazz: