Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Create folder

• Please log in to reply

sarafski

sarafski

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello ,

I have the following problem :

Can't create new folders .....

When rightclicking there is no option NEW....in order to create new folder....

there is only

VIEW
Customize this folder
arrange icons
Properties

So in order to create a folder each time I have to open a progarm and from " save as" create the new folder.....

regards,

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Sorry. Just found your post. <_<

If you're on 98, go to file, new, folder and create a new folder.

sarafski

sarafski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi ,

I am on Winodws 98 ....yes ...but when opening whatever folder and try to create a new folder ....even in the FILE....there is no "new" line.....

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
To create a folder

Click the drive in Windows Explorer where you want to create the new folder.
On the File menu, point to New, and then click Folder.
The new folder appears with a temporary name.

Type a name for the new folder, and then press ENTER.

Note

If you want to create a new folder within a folder, click the folder and then follow steps two and three above.

Or go to start, settings, folder options and hit restore all defaults.

If this doesn't work, click the Hijack This signature in my log so we can see what's going on on your computer.

sarafski

sarafski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
HI ,

Thanks for the message ,

See this http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=4622

The current "can't create folder problem" maybe existed even bofore the above which was resolved successfully following JONNYROTTEN advice....

In few words there must be something that I do not understand or something in the settings must be wrong

Now when doing what you say in your message
" Click the drive in Windows Explorer where you want to create the new folder.
On the File menu, point to New, and then click Folder.
The new folder appears with a temporary name..."
I get the following

Create Shrotcut - grey (non active)
Delete - grey
Rename - grey
Properties - black ( active)
-------------
....(C:) >
--------------
...........(C:)
... V......(C:) ( checked )
-------------------
Work Offline
Close

There is no "New" line to click and create new folders......and these two "c:" are botehring me.......why my hard drive is shown 2 times ?

I did " go to start, settings, folder options and hit restore all defaults." , but nothing changed.....

I can send you again the "Hijack this" log.... let me know....

Thanks for the attention......

sarafski

sarafski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
HI

one more thing......

In Windows explorer in My Computer on the left it shows my C: drive two times......is this normal....?

Then a folder My Documents shows two times once inside the C: drive and then also separetaley in the desktop.....the content is the same....

bidule

bidule

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz:
I' ve got the same problem, there is no more "new" line in the contextual menu or anywhere, and i can't find the answer jonnyrotten has given in topic 622 ( the link in the above post his dead)
i've heard it may be linked to the desinstallation of an nvidia driver, and yes i did uninstal my nvidia driver to replace it by an older one, who created less problems with games. since i uninstall this driver i've no more this "new"
Im pûzzled, can't find answer anywhere, help please help ;)
i'm on win98se,athlon 1.2, 256mo, geforce2mx200.

sarafski

sarafski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi ,

I stilll have the problem with the missing NEW folder line option on the FILE menu.....that I wrote about in my previous postings.....
Reading the last message I assume that it might be related to the Nvidia drivers , becuase I also installed the new ones before the e probleml appeared.

It is not a huge problem but it is annoying as each time I want to create NEW folder I have to open a program (word , Excel or other )and save the document in NEW folder...so this is the only way I can have new folders.......

I hope someone reads this.....

The jonnyrotten posting that I mention above was related to other issues dealing with spyware and some virus that I had and it was resolved in no time. following his advice. :tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Warning! I haven't tested this, but I'm pretty sure it will work. As always, use at your own risk.

The list of items in the right click context menu are stored in a special Windows folder:
C:\Windows\Shellnew

Deleting the Shellnew folder from the Windows directory, and then restarting Windows should cause it to be recreated with the default settings. If you have Office, WinZip or other programs that include right click options, you'll likely have to reinstall those programs to return those links.

I think TweakUI may also have some helpful options under the template menu:
http://www.microsoft...g/NTTweakUI.asp

sarafski

sarafski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi ,

Thanks for the prompt answer !

I checked and unfortunately there is no Shellnew folder in Windows......on my PC. running on windows98

There is only one folder close by name to Shellnew

WINDOWS/System/Shellext....

This Shellext folder is empty....

So I had no folder named Shellnew to delete.

I tried to find it by Find folder.. , but again no Shellnew folder exists.

bidule

bidule

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok guys i've found smthing that did it for me and since i'm running under 98se also, it could work for you.
The cause of that was the uninstall/reinsall of an nvidia driver. Nvidia create a registry key next to the "New" line registry key and i dunno how it seems to delete that key for new line.

So here 's the solution i found:

Enter windows registry (make a save before if u want but anyway windows save registry at each reboot): start/execute : type "regedit"
In the registry go to :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
right-click on the directory ContextMenuHandlers and choose new and key
Name the new key as you want, the default name "new key" should be ok
Then click on that new "new key dir"
In the right hand panel, there should be " default" and "no value set"
double click on default and enter the following CLSID key: cut and paste it , with the brackets:
{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}

then click ok and exit and right click on your desktop: your good old new line has returned :tazz: , there's not even need of a reboot for the change to take effect. :thumbsup:

I found that somewhere on aforum, icouldn't figure it out myself, hope this will help you!
Peace! ;)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks for sharing your resolution! :tazz: Nice find.

camjamlar

camjamlar

• Pip
  • 5 posts
[[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7]

hi i am new to this forum :thumbsup:
but i hope someone here can help
here goes
i have noticed it for a while but its driving me insane now :tazz:
when i rightclick on my desktop there is no option to create new folder and when i go to my documents and click on file there is no option but when i have my documents file and folder tasks open the option is there at the top when i click on the make a new folder i hear a error sound no message appears and no folder appears so i am getting frustrated as i need new folder space
does anyone know exactly where the option as gone and how i can get it back as i have searched high and low with no results thank you ;)
shelly

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Why don't you start a new topic and post a hijack this log in the malware section. We can take a look and see if something is happening. Then, we can rule it out. Click the hijack this section in my signature. :tazz: