Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

biulding a computer need help picking parts

• Please log in to reply

desca

desca

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi I'm new here. I'm planning a system to biuld. I need suggestions on the parts i should use?

I want to use it for gaming.

I this is what i have so far, AMD 64 3500+, 1GB DDR2 RAM.

I dont know what brand ram ect...

HELP :tazz: ;) ;) HELP

Thanks

Edited by desca, 21 July 2005 - 02:47 PM.

Advertisements

Jared

Jared

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey there welcome Go to Newegg.com it got all you need to build a new pc....Any more help just ask :tazz:

I suggest you get 256mb of video cared Nvida is the way I would go...But you got to know what Motherboard your getting and what not

Edited by Jared, 22 July 2005 - 10:14 PM.

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
for the brand of ram i would suggest pretty much what any other person would say, kingston, ocz, crucial.

desca

desca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thats my biggest problem i can't find a motherboard with, socket 939, pci-exspress, on-board sound, on-board ethernet.

Thats all i think i need?

Suggestions on the above would be helpful.

Also what kind of ram will i need? ddr,ddr2,ect...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can get ddr2 for amd processors, I just built my system (see below) upgrade the cpu go for an upgrade in the ram quality if you want some xl stuff will give you unbeleivable performance. If you cant find a mobo you are doing something wrong there is tons of the things on the market like that. I would get mine its idiot proof and comes with everything a first time builder will need. Upgrade the cpu if you want but the 3200 has handled everything i have threw at it with ease. Venice and san diego cores are what you need get a san diego if you have the cash for it.

desca

desca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thats the problem theres to many different options.

desca

desca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I see you lave the super lanboy case is it easy to work on. are you satisfiyed.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
You really shouldn't have that hard of a time finding a mobo that is socket 939, pci-e, onboard sound, and ethernet. I know mine came with all of those, an Asus A8n SLI deluxe. Although you probably won't be running SLI with a $1200 budget.

The MSI k8 neo4 is a fine board, and should serve your needs.

What different options are you having trouble with?

desca

desca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
the option im having trouble with is there could be 100 mobo's with socket 939, pci-e, onboard sound, and ethernet, fire wire, usb, ect..

I don't know what one out of the 100 is right.

Also can you suggest some graphics cards for gaming

Or what prosseser to use AMD Athlon 64 3200+, Or 3500+.

:tazz: :help: :help: ;) :help: :yeah: ;)

Edited by desca, 23 July 2005 - 03:49 PM.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I believe you should go with a 3500+, it seems to run fine in my system.

A good video card would be an x850xt platinum... but they run about $400+

A cheaper but still good card would be a geforce 6800gt, the go for about $250-300.

If those are still too expensive, you might go for a 6600GT. I think it's around $150 now.

And if you're loaded with cash you might want to check out the 7800GTX for around $600. Nvidias next gen gpu. Fastest on the market currently. Although, I'd wait to see what ATI does with their card r520, as it looks to be even more powerful than the 7800.

Advertisements

spudZ

spudZ

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

If those are still too expensive, you might go for a 6600GT. I think it's around $150 now.

View Post

Instead of that go with an ATI X700 or X800...Much better card with 256bit memory and 256MB RAM. GeForce 6600GT only has 128MB (although I've seen some with 256MB) and 128-bit memory.

-spudZ

desca

desca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
How much more will my 1200$ budget have to be for sli?

In your opinion what is better comp. or ps2/xbox/xbox360/ps3

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
How many of these threads are you going to make :tazz: ;)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The case is great absolutely great not a single complaint about it. I could have done with some more gel mounts so i can replace the back ont to a led one as well but they give you a couple of spares and you get the carry strap which is good quality. If you want it nice and simple get and dont have a huge budget get a system like mines was really cheap for what i got and how it performs. Does everything ive thrown at it with absolute ease.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

How many of these threads are you going to make  :tazz:  ;) 

I'm sure he will keep making them as long as we keep responding to them... ;)

Since SLi is very gradually being seen on more and more mobos, it's becoming easier and easier to find good deals on them. I'd say on average SLi boards are about $100+ more than a board without it. Anyone else have different figures?