Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Total amatuer in spyware [bleep] [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jeffro101

jeffro101

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I have a message on my desktop computer that reads You have a fatal error in IE that occured at 0028:C0011E36 in VXD VMM(01) + 00010E36. Error was caused byTrojan-Spy.HTML. Smitfraud.c

This started out of the clear blue, it automatically installed a spyware program , something Gold. Ithought it was a hijacking, so I ran my spyware program (Spybot S/D). It got rid of some of the problems but left 2 and it said the computer needed to be restarted and it would try to fix the remaining problems on startup. After restarting it worked on it for a minute and said problems were fixed, but I still had the unwanted spyware program and the error message. So then I uninstalled the spyware program, what a mistake. Now at startup I get the above message and nothing else after putting my password in. Guess it would have been easier to just pay them the$ 29.00 for their program.

If anyone can help I would be forever grateful. I am using windows xp. Also I have a program on the computer that is supposed to not let spyware install,(spyware blaster?).

Jeff

e36

Advertisements

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts
Hi Jeff!

Hi and welcome to GeeksToGo! My name is Sam and I will be helping you.

If you still need help please give me an update on your problems. Are you still unable to boot up normally? Can you get into Task manager?

If you have resolved this issue please let us know.

jeffro101

jeffro101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Sam,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I've been away for a couple days. I still haven't gotten it going . When you turn the computer on it comes on and flashes a blue error screen momentarily then comes up to the password screen, after that you get the blue fatal error screen and it is completely locked up from there.Last time I tried to do something with it I could start up in safe mode at least. Tonight it won't even do that. I'm out of my league. Any help would be forever appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• 10,019 posts
You will need to do a repair installation of Windows XP to fix whatever corruption has taken place. You will not lose anything on your hard drive, you are simply reinstalling Windows over top of your current installation. This should fix things enough so that you can reboot normally and we can then remove the infection that will still be present.

You will need your Windows CD. Please follow the steps at this link to do a repair installation.

http://www.windowsre...tallxpcdrepair/

Once you are done you should be able to reboot normally. Please visit this page and scroll down to Step 5. Follow the instructions there to download a tool called Hijackthis and post a log here as a reply to this post.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• 10,019 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.