Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Spyware?

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hey People,

I just installed this software called Acronis Privcy Expert.

My other two anti-spyware software says that my system is clean, then this software says that there is some things there.

Can someone please tell me if the following should be removed:

keep in mind that I use Limewire for downloading music to.

HKLM\System\CurrentControl\Services\VxD\JAVASUP|Start

HKLM\Software\Classes\magnet

HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\magnet

HKLM\Software\magnet

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\D:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache|C:\Windows\system32\control.exe

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\searchsquire.com

HKLM\software\classes\.vnc

I jsut need to know this before I do anything. Cause it does not back up as far as I know and I completly disabled system restore.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Hey People,

keep in mind that I use Limewire for downloading music to.

View Post

Howdy.. Ya, Limewire for downloading copywritten music and more worms, trojans and malware than songs per download !!

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Murray

NumberTWO

NumberTWO

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Muray, is the 'CLICK HERE' supposed to be a hyperlink?

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello! No, his "Click here" was not supposed to be a hyperlink.

At the very top of this page, you will see this sentence:

Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please Start Here. With a blue question mark next to it. Click on THAT "start here" link and follow the directions

then

you will also see this:

To avoid confusion, do not post your question in someone else's topic. Please start your own. Stay with your original topic when posting a follow up. Need help starting a new topic? Click Here. WIth an orange exclamation point next to it. To start a new topic, click on THAT "click here". That's what Murray was referring to. :tazz:

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
:tazz: I told you that I have to other anti-spyware software (reminding you I did get them from this site) and I would like answer please.

Sorry if that sounds like Im in a bad mood, but I am in a very bad mood at the moment.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
You DID receive an answer. The entries you posted about are MALWARE related. We only offer advice of that type here in the MALWARE forum, and then only after seeing a full HijackThis log. That is our policy, and that is the way we work.

There was no call to be rude towards any Staff member here. I understand your frustration, but if you read again, you will see we DID give you advice.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

:tazz:  I told you that I have to other anti-spyware software (reminding you I did get them from this site) and I would like answer please.

Sorry if that sounds like Im in a bad mood, but I am in a very bad mood at the moment.

View Post

That's great.. Now follow the rest of the instructions and post your HJT log in the Malware forum !!

Murray

Not to worry ~Kat~.. I saw his post as frustration moreso than rudeness..

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 21 July 2005 - 09:53 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Thank you Kat..... I will do that now

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
In addition..just because two anti-spyware programs say you are "clean" does not in fact mean you are. Limewire is NOTORIOUS for spreading malware. There are much better apps out there that are safe. I really would recommend you post a HJT log in the forums.

Also, you should read HERE for information on "clean" vs "not" P2P programs.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
You're welcome, Tony. :tazz:

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
:tazz: Lime wire is the best that I have found out there, I have learnt NOT to share or download EXE files.. that is how the spyware\malware gets around. ;)

But I only use lime wire PRO for music downloads, I learnt after the 4th time not to use P2P's for software downdloads (cause it is illegal as I now know).

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

:tazz: Lime wire is the best that I have found out there, I have learnt NOT to share or download EXE files.. that is how the spyware\malware gets around.  ;)

But I only use lime wire PRO for music downloads, I learnt after the 4th time not to use P2P's for software downdloads (cause it is illegal as I now know).

View Post

And using Limewire to download copywritten music is just as illegal.. Take ~Kats~ advice and look at her link for legal and safe alternatives!!

Also, you don't need to download an .exe file or any executable to get infected.. You can get infected just by visiting a website !!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 21 July 2005 - 10:04 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Yep yep I know that one Murray, and thank you... I'll take your and Kats advise