Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2

• Please log in to reply

cjgriff

cjgriff

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I got a new computer a couple of months ago. Yippee !! :tazz:
After working with it for awhile, I noticed that I had this Java program listed on my list of programs. I don't remember downloading it and am not sure how it got on my computer. Could anyone tell me if I really need this for anything ??
It's listed as being 117 MB which is a lot especially if it is not needed.

Thanks !

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Basically, yes. It's like a big package of .dll's and many programs, games and such, that run in Java need it. If it isn't there you may install something and it will say something like "cannot find class file" when you try to run it. When the program runs it loads whatever it need from the J2RE into memory.

cjgriff

cjgriff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply. I did a search for things Java related on my computer and found that the Encyclopedia Britannica uses it .

Thanks again. :tazz: