Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pentium 4 HT Extreme Edition

• Please log in to reply

satyabratpanda

satyabratpanda

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi! I am interested to assemble a P-4 system, but am not clear about a couple of things.

I want to use the P 4 extreme edition chip with RDRAM and with a separate video card(Video memory not shared from main system memory).
My questions are:
1. Can I use RDRAM with this processor and on which board?
2. Which is better, RDRAM or DDR SDRAM?
3. As far as I know, P 4 processors have FSB's which are multiples of 400 MHz, where as DDR SDRAM has FSB in multiples of 266 MHz. So, why are most P IV systems being sold with DDR RAM nowadays?

Thanks

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You're going to have a hard time locating a board that supports this CPU and RDRAM. Why? Becuase DDR offers better performance at a lower price. A P4 operating at 800mhz requires 400mhz (PC3200) DDR RAM (higher if you're going to overclock).

What are you going to be using this system for? The P4EE offers the best performance available, but it's not that much better than a P4C. If you're using this for gaming, I'd recommend you save the money spent buying the P4EE, and instead purchase the best video card you can afford.