Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corsair XMS3200 512MB 400MHz 2.2.2.5

• Please log in to reply

$ausage$

$ausage$

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I have been having problems with this memory since day 1. (Which was Christmas time) every time I place the 2 stick in their dual channel slots 2 and 4 when it gets to windows logon screen it just reboots. It is the most annoying thing ever! Both sticks work fine on their own in single mode and they are not over clocked. I have tried it in a Abit board and a DFI LAN party board both are fit for it (well so the corsair sit says) any suggestions?

Jonny

Edited by $ausage$, 22 July 2005 - 08:34 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Can you tell us exactly what motherboard & CPU you have please?

$ausage$

$ausage$

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh yeh sorry its

AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3500+
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU
DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-011-DF)

any thing else?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, couple of suggestions.
Firstly, try running memtest86. You can download it from here:
http://www.memtest.org/

This runs from a bootable floppy disk & it will confirm whether its a hardware problem or not

Next thing to try is see if theres a bios update available for your motherboard.

$ausage$

$ausage$

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
tried both. well a friend did memtest 3 times. this is teh secont set of modules as i RMA the first ones thiking they were broke. the were doing the same and were ok in memtest. There are not any updates for the bios at the moment. Verynew board.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeh I wondered whether the board was too new for a bios update!

It sounds like a problem with windows in that case. It may be worth checking the registry for any corruption (long shot I know but worth a go).
The only other thing you could try as a last resort, is either try running XP recovery console & repairing it (while in dual channel mode) or a fresh install of XP. I can't guarantee either will work though

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
One more thing, I know you said the system wasn't overclocked etc but have you tried loading bios defaults or fail safe defaults?

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

One more thing, I know you said the system wasn't overclocked etc but have you tried loading bios defaults or fail safe defaults?

View Post

Good call Samm :tazz:

Make sure all of the memory setting are set to "auto" in the bios

$ausage$

$ausage$

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeh they are. we even tried to lower the timing and increase the timings but no joy. ill try a fresh install some time i think but cant just at the moment. thanks for all your help. ill also try the reg thing

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Let us know how get on

$ausage$

$ausage$

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok no joy with the fresh install.

i now have new memory its still corsair but 2 Gigs (2 gig sticks) and the same problem all is great in single channel but dual forces a boot and teh windows login screen :)

I need help for my head is MINCED!!!!! :tazz: :) :) :) :)

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
i have two sticks of 512 duel channel corsair in my comp. look at my stats...it might be the 64bit processer...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
$ausage$, have you tried placing the sticks in slots 1 & 3 instead of 2 & 4? (slots 1 & 3 should still given dual channel operation I believe).
Also, theres a bios update on DFIs website that improves memory compatibility - it might be worth trying that as well.

$ausage$

$ausage$

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok i have tried the 1 - 3 option and teh computer dosent even post boot.(flashing monitor LED) and when i try 1 stick in number 1 or 3 the bios tells a me "1 stick in slot 2 for single channel and one stick in slots 2 and 4 for dual channel. the bios i have is from the 25th of january 2005, so ill give it a flash tonight and see how i get on. hope fully!