Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking Video cards

• Please log in to reply

Royal

Royal

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello,
I am not getting enough out of my games. Battlefield 2 runs horrible with some medium settings. I get a stead 45fps on low settings but thats pretty much it. What I want to know is how to overclock my video card.
Thanks.
System Specifications in my signature.

Advertisements

jakestaby

jakestaby

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
http://www.softpedia...lBits-Reg.shtml

That's the easiest way.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
You could also try Rivatuner

It's a little more complicated than jakestaby's suggestion, but once you get the hang of it, you end up being able to do more things to enhance performance.

It's what I use.

Edited by UV_Power, 28 July 2005 - 08:43 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Overclocking the card itself doesnt help much though you wil get maybe 2-3 extra fps 5 max. Video cards are funny in the way they respond to overclocking its rather weird.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

you wil get maybe 2-3 extra fps 5 max.

When I used 3DMark05, I only got about 9 fps. So, an extra 5 makes a huge difference IMO.

When I played CoH, I got an extra 15 - 20 fps after pumping up the MHz using Rivatuner.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Unusual but it is very dependant on the card if you have a lower end one it is usually the same core as higher end cores only underclocked. If you have a high end card like the xl or xt versions of the ati or ultra and GT versions of nvidia cards they are allready high clocked and wont benefit from an increase. As a rule though you dont get a large increase in performance it seems you were lucky.

Check the overclocking forums sites to see how much you can expect from the card.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
See my sig. below? I have the vanilla 6600. Could that explain it?