Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my windows 98 system doesn't work at all anymore

• Please log in to reply

sk8ingchocobo

sk8ingchocobo

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i need to re install windows 98 as my mum trying to be helpful removed alot of essential system files please could somone tell me how to reinstall windows without knowing the password to enter the system setup and without being able to get into windows i know it seems like a longshot Thanks Ian

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you want to completely install from scratch, you lose the programmes and data.

You could try here

http://www.geekstogo...98_95-t479.html

If you have a problem with this, post back as doing this will be a lot easier than installing from scratch.

If you don't mind losing the programmes and data, and you have the software CD's for all the programmes you need, then boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until you get the set up screen, look for Boot Priority and check you can change this to CD ROM then hard drive, if you can do this, change it then press F10 key to save and exit then Y to confirm. It will reboot, as soon as you get the beep, keep tapping F8 key until you get options, choose command prompt only, (5). When you get the flashing cursor, type format c: then press enter then Y to confirm, it will wipe the drive, so make sure this is the way you want to go, when the drive is clean, you press enter for none, (volume) then load the 98 CD, press the ctrl + alt + delete keys to reboot.

Look for the option to load from CD, (2) choose that and follow the instructions, make sure you also have the CD Key, modem drivers etc.

Edited by Keith, 22 July 2005 - 08:50 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I would look at using sfc 1st