Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

codecs?

• Please log in to reply

chefcheech

chefcheech

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hey guys, i just installed xp sp 2 and i forgot where i got my codecs. i have the latest versions of divx and xvid ( i think) but i know i am missing some cuz my movies and cartoons will only play with a real white glarish thing to them or they will be really distorted like.

any help would be appreciated.....

chef

Advertisements

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Do it by trial and error, Find out what codecs you need for that video file... then go D/L them.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can get a small freeware application called Gspot and use it to open your video and audio files. It will tell you exactly what you need to play almost any file. One of the best pieces of software I've found.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You can get divx at http://www.divx.com/. You can get the free version (ad supported) and then zap the ads with AdAware.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
There is another free program for seeing what codecs a media file needs called "VideoInspector" and has the added utility of being to automatically download that codec based on an online database! Check it out at:

VideoInspector

Cheers,
Tom

You can get a small freeware application called Gspot and use it to open your video and audio files. It will tell you exactly what you need to play almost any file. One of the best pieces of software I've found.

View Post

thornnnn

thornnnn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i use nemo codec pack .. search for nemo, it's no longer supported but it's fixed all my problems