Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable boot volume - cd wont boot

• Please log in to reply

mr-man-1984

mr-man-1984

• Pip
  • 5 posts
well i kno a lota peeps got this prob of blue Unmountable boot volume screen,but wen i put cd in and restart,nothing dif happens,same options leadin 2 same blue screen.........help!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Have you tried the fixes given HERE ??

Murray

mr-man-1984

mr-man-1984

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Problem is that I cant get access to teh recovery console cos my DVD drive wont read the disk before the fuking thing decides to [bleep] up, i havent a clue what to do...

Im currently on my old pc that i dragged out and hooked up, its v slow, and runs on 98, but is it possible to solveit via here? http://www.windowsre...unmountable.htm suggests taking out the drive and using anotehr xp comp to fix it, some how, i dont understyand, but could a similar thing be done? Im so confused... and v annoyed

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Is the first boot device in BIOS set to your cd-rom??

If it is, then all you need to do is start the system with your XP cd in the drive.. Should boot using the XP cd even before it starts Windows and you end up with the BSOD..

BTW.. is your XP cd an original or a copy you or a friend made for you (totally different setup issues and procedure)..

Also, the option to move the drive to your old Win98 system won't work as the Win98 system won't even see the hdd if it was formatted NTFS!!

Murray

mr-man-1984

mr-man-1984

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I got the XP with my Dell, and I put it in, restart, i can hear it spin but it still wont read it, I dont know why, but it just wont...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Again.. Have you checked in BIOS to make sure the first boot device is your cd-rom??

Murray

mr-man-1984

mr-man-1984

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
how do I do that? Ifit isnt, can it be changed given my situation? I imagien it would be because i dnt have a floppy drive...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
It should tell you in your manual that you received with the Dell.. It will also give you all the settings and the areas in BIOS they are located and how to change them..

Murray

mr-man-1984

mr-man-1984

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
THANK YOU! I'm back on my fully functional, fast and sexy Dell! WOOP!

I just had to reconfigure the BIOS and follow the basic steps, thank u!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You are very welcome!!

Murray