Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cat 5 cable

• Please log in to reply

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Just the other day i was using the ethernet rather than my wireless because i was playing an online game. next time i tried to use it it said it had limited or no conectivity, does anyone know why this might be?
Thanks,
T-man

Edited by t-man, 23 July 2005 - 09:54 AM.

Advertisements

jakestaby

jakestaby

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Go to start > run and type cmd. At the cmd prompt type ipconfig /release and after that finishes, type ipconfig /renew. If it says limited or no connectivity afterwards, reset the computer and the cable modem, then it should work.

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Thanks, But it still says that it has limited or no connectivity, and i can not go on the internet. I tried connecting to my fathers network with an ethernet cable and it worked. All of the other computers on my network can connect via ethernet and I have tried all of the ports, and also tried to connect directly to the modem which doesn't work either.

Vertigo101

Vertigo101

• Pip
  • 8 posts
try this, its really not a way to solve your problem, but rather to understand more about it. It is a command that lets you know if you have a healthy connection......

In WinXP at the command prompt type "ping google.com" (without quotes)

You should see four replies. If you do it means your computer is able to communicate with google.com and therefore the internet.If not you are having a connection problem. I know youre problably thinking "OF COURSE". But this is the only help i can give you.

A possible solution to your problem might be to refresh your winsock. This is also done through the command prompt. I am unsure of the exact command, but a query on this subject would problably be found in this fourm.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Not trying to step on any toes but maybe for once I can help someone else on here.
If you are using XP, as I think you are from the "limited or no connectivity" message it gave you, I often have the same problem.
To solve it I just open the network connections dialog either from the taskbar by right clicking the wireless symbol or in start>setiings>network connections and select the network, then click on the change settings option on the left. After that open the wireless settings tab and check the "use windows to manage ....." box at the top. Clicking ok after that fixes it for me hope this helps you also.
Another prob I sometimes have after using wires is that the laptop turns of the wireless card to save power. The Device Manager can help you change that setting, I think.
Good luck