Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow initial connection

• Please log in to reply

sonofed

sonofed

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just returned from a trip to Europe with my laptop where I had a hard time making wireless connections. I hoped that my problems would go away when I came back to my hard wired home network connected to Comcast but unfortunately not.

My problem is that whenever I start a program that connects to the internet the initial connection takes up to a minute or more. This happens when I start IE or my VPN connection (for work) or my email program PC Pine which connects me to an IMAP server. MS Outlook for work email through the VPN connection also seems to be timing out. Once the initial IE page loads all other pages load just fine and my PC Pine connection is also fine. My guess is that something changed when trying to get the wireless connection to work in Europe but I'm at a loss as to where to look.

Larry

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
A few more details about your setup, machine, NIC settings etc. would be very helpful.

TIA!

Be well, SD

sonofed

sonofed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell Latitude with built in LAN (3Com 3C920 Integrated controller) & wireless (Dell Truemobile 1150 Series Mini PCI). The IP settings for the LAN are Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically. Someone at work told me I should look at the DNS settings and run IPCONFIG to see what my Comcast connection is using. There are no addresses currently. Should I add one or otherwise change those settings? Or are there other properties I should be looking at?

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Thanx sonofed, that gives us a little more to work with.

First step, assuming the LAN connection is the one you use at home, disable the wireless card via control panel and network connections (right click on the card icon and select disable). Reboot that machine, and see how things go. Additionally, in IE, Tools --> Internet Options --> Connections --> Lan Settings, make sure no proxy information is checked.

Keep us posted!
Be well, SD

sonofed

sonofed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That didn't make any difference...still takes a long time to connect to anything.

Larry