Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Arrhhh! I need help!

• Please log in to reply

batgirl

batgirl

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: Ok. Hi all my name is liz but I mostly go by batgirl. I am trying to format my laptop and install windows xp.

Currently running windows 98
Don't laugh...I have a Compaq Presario GenuineIntel Pentium® Processor
128.0MB RAM

The problem I'm having is I don't have the Windows 98 CD that came with the computer. It was given to my son from a friend when the friend was moving away.

I want to erase the hard-drive and install Windows XP. It keeps telling me I need the original CD. Impossible. Is there a back-door in a matter of speaking to accomplish this task?

Batgirl

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

A full install XP cd doesn't need anything like that.. Is your XP cd an upgrade or full install retail disk??

Murray

batgirl

batgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
full install.

BG

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Great.. Then all you ned to do is boot into BIOS and make sure the first boot device is set to the cd-rom.. Put your XP cd into the cd-rom drive, save the change to BIOS and exit..

The system should reboot and then boot up using the XP cd.. From there just follow the prompts (one will ask if you want to remove all partitions and format and install XP.. That's the one you want)..

You XP cd is an original right and not a copy you or someone made for you (totally different install and setup procedure)..

Murray

batgirl

batgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes it is the original. TY. I will try it and get back to you with the results.

BG

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

128.0MB RAM

View Post

yikes....windows xp on 128mb of ram is like putting on a pair of pants two sizes too small...it will run, and it will install, but the pain of getting their makes this a miserable experience.

You need more ram...at least 256mb (if you have shared video, you need more)

batgirl

batgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok thanks....on my way to the store lol