Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Speaker Sounds

• Please log in to reply

Rich68

Rich68

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,
I hope this is in the right board if not I apologize. Just recently I reinstalled Windows XP Professional. For some reason now the speakers are not working. I get the following errors.

Cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding.

Audio Error: The file could not be played. The Sound Card may be in use.

What do I do to fix this?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

any yellow !s ?

Rich68

Rich68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Gerryf,
Thank you for the suport I do have yellows with ? marks in front of them. They are: Other Devices
?Generic IEEE 1284.4 printing support
?(!)HPScanjet 4470c
?(!)Multi Media Audio

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmmm do you have a firewire printer? Interesting.....

Anyway, you need to install your drivers for your printer and soundcard/soundchip.

Do you have the original disk that came with the PC called DRIVER DISK? If not

download Everest Home

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and attach it to your next post

Rich68

Rich68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you again gerryf. I just ran a FULL report. Was not sure which report you wanted to see. I saved it as a txt file. Hope this helps you in helping me out with this speaker issue. Thank you again. I'm learning as I go with all this help.
Rich

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you're going to have to go here:

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

plug in your motherboard and download the drivers....I cannot direct link

your motherboard model is
Asus P4S333

the thing that is throwing me was the firewire error...I'm guessing that is the way the usb port is recognized....you will need to reinstall the drivers for that SCANNER

If you lack the disk, can be found here:

http://h20180.www2.h...x=10&submit.y=4

Rich68

Rich68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Downloaded the drivers but not sure what to do. I tried to run it but still no sound? :tazz:

flexoman

flexoman

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Downloading the drivers will not install the drivers, you have to run the driver install proggie or install them manually...

If the driver download came in an exe, msi or bat file then just dblclick the corresponding file and installation will begin.

If the download came with no installation proggie then you will have to install it yourself. There should be an .inf file...if there is this is what windows wants for installation....Just go to the particular hardware (Yellow marks) you're wanting to install the drivers for and choose update drivers and guide the installation wizard to the location of the .inf file. From there you can update your drivers and all should be fine.

HTH

Rich68

Rich68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Flexoman,
I did not see an exe file. I will poke around some more and see what I can do this morning. Thank you for your help along with gerryf. I will keep you posted.
Thanks again,
Rich

Rich68

Rich68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you gerryf and flexoman for your help. I was able to get the sound back a little while ago. Awesome thank you! I just need to reinstall the scanner and I am good to go. Thank you again.
Rich

datwib

datwib

• Pip
  • 7 posts
This has happened to me several times. If you haven't already done so, go to the control panel and remove your sound hardware (I have Soundblaster). Then reload the software and reboot the computer, after checking that all cords are tightly connected. Hope this helps!
datwib