Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another IBM thinkpad problem

• Please log in to reply

j_balcaen

j_balcaen

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I dont know how to install Windows on my IBM thinkpad 760 EL.

Whenever i boot there is a screen that motions that i need to insert a diskette. So i insert a windows 98 boot disk then i proceed to an installation screen with a few options.
But what i dont understand is how i'm supposed to install windows without a CD-ROM drive. I have a CD-ROM drive for the laptop, but i can only use a diskette or a Cd drive at a time. How do i go around this...

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: IBM Thinkoad 760EL
Date: July 23rd -2005

Topic Can’t install Win-98 on IBM Laptop
Date: July 23rd – 2005

I guess that your floppy & CD are on PCMICIA Cards. And you only have 1 slot?

You can probably get a floppy disk installation... try this website:

http://www.ibm.com/support/us/

There is a search . . . type in 760EL . . . .I tried & page is down until tomorrow . . .here is message that I received:

Support & downloads
Attention Users :The IBM Support and Downloads site is temporarily unavailable due to planned maintenance. We expect the site to be available before 7:00 am ET on 7/24. Please try again at that time.

Log on tomorrow & see if they can support your problem with a down load

There may be another technique that we could try, but lets see what you get here.

I suppose that 2nd post of yours is about the same laptop? I will only answer this one for now....it will to confusing to handle double posting

Of course if you do have 2 slots – you should be able to run both drives. . . I would think

Anyway . . .try this

Have a good day,
Jack123

BAinComputers

BAinComputers

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is handled by the use of a simple dos command assign A: to file on c:

dineshpandian

dineshpandian

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

I dont know how to install Windows on my IBM thinkpad 760 EL.

Whenever i boot there is a screen that motions that i need to insert a diskette. So i insert a windows 98 boot disk then i proceed to an installation screen with a few options.
But what i dont understand is how i'm supposed to install windows without a CD-ROM drive. I have a CD-ROM drive for the laptop, but i can only use a diskette or a Cd drive at a time. How do i go around this...

View Post

why not skip the diskette and use the
cd directly if the cd can be booted from?
set the first boot device to cdrom, or perhaps PCMCIA
storage device or something like that. pop in the cd,
and watch it boot.