Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battlefield 2 Question

• Please log in to reply

dbl456

dbl456

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys, I just went out and bought my copy of Battlefield 2 and was very excited about playing it since I loved 1942. Anyway I installed it on my computer, and everything seems to run very smoothly... until I try and actually play a game. Just to check how it ran on my system I tried a single player game with the resolution turned up a little, but not even all the way. When the game launches it gets very choppy and in a second or two it completely freezes. I then have to either turn the computer off or shut down the game because it starts to not respond. I have a fully updated patch and fully updated video and sound drivers... anyone got any idea why this may be? Check my system specs, I feel they should be enough but I'm not completely sure. Thanks a lot

Brooks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well what video card do you have? bf2 is pretty heavy on the specs. I have a ati 9600xt and have to play it at low settings.

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
i have a gig of ram pc3200, AGP 6600gt with 256megs ddr3, amd64 3000 [email protected],socket939,w2k sp4.
it lags at first but then smooths out then lags ever once in awhile. i love the high setting textures meh i wish i had 2 gigs now lol.

dbl456

dbl456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
sorry guys, I thought that it had my computer specs posted, here is my computer specs: p4 3.0 Ghz 1.0 Ghz DDR PC400 Ram 128 MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 120 GB HD Sound Blaster Audigy 2

Seems to be decent enough to me to run on medium resolution but I may be wrong, what do you guys think.. if it is good enough why would it be locking up and crashing?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
it should be enough. I would like to find out how to show fps. that would at least give us a direction to go. one thing that made a difference for me was to download the pbweb.exe into c:\program files\ea games\battlefield2\pb folder (follow the instructions listed in the pinned posts for call of duty). updating punkbuster may resolve some of your issues. It does take a while to run, so just be patient and remember it has to be run from the \pb folder.

dbl456

dbl456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did the pb update thing, and it did not really seem to help, the game seems to crash to windows whenever I begin any single player game (havent even tried it on multiplayer yet) any other ideas on what may be the problem... drivers and windows is fully updated
thanks

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well although bf2 supports the 9800 it, like my 9600xt, are not the best cards out there. If you can't play it with the settings on medium, then try low and see what happens. On medium settings you could disable dynamic lighting. that should give you some performance benifits.

I have looked at "gears of ware", CoD2, and several other up coming games and see a need to update my card. I should be able to get an x800 card in a month or so. I would at least recommend an x700 or nvidia 6600 card if the changes above aren't satisfactory.